3 Star Lounger
    Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
    Thanks

Graphic within a textbox (Word 2000)

Hi

I'm adding a photo to a textbox. The reason for doing this is so that I can add a caption to the photo and have both photo and caption tied together. I have got rid of the border for the textbox but when I come to add a border (thin colour line) to the photo this option is greyed out in the format dialog. Does anyone know how I can get this option?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Graphic within a textbox (Word 2000)

How about just using the photo as an object, and a textbox for the caption only, then grouping the two together so they stay locked together? You could draw a rectangle around the photo to give it a border manually, then make the fill of the rectangle transparent, again group the two together so they stay together.

Thanks

I see the same thing, but... when you right-click the picture, you should have the Borders and Shading... dialog available. Click "box" in the left column, and by default, the border will surround the picture. You can change the line thickness and color as you wish.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Another possible option is with the picture selected, choose "Format Picture", crop all or any of the sides using negative amounts, then give it a fill colour. You should also be able to use the border options as well to generate some very groovy affects.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Yet another possibility, which may or may not suit, is to drop the graphic and caption into a 2 row x 1 column table, then play with the table attributes to achieve the effect you're after.

Alan

3 Star Lounger
    Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
    Thanks

Thanks Guys, problem solved.

jscher2000 - I was right clicking and trying to use Format Picture/Colours & lines; the line options are greyed out. I hadn't noticed the Borders option on the right click menu.

csimms - I didn't know one could group objects in Word. I live and learn, thanks.