Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Page breaks (Word XP)

Ctrl+Enter inserts a page break. If you select "Even Page" or "Odd Page" in the Insert | Break menu, you insert a section break. Sections of a document can have their own page settings, headers and footers, and column settings. If you insert an Even Page section break, the new page will always have an even page number. I necessary, Word will insert a blank odd page. It's just the opposite for an Odd Page section break.

I'm not sure what you mean by your second question. If you first change character or paragraph formatting manually, then create a new style, the manual modifications will be picked up by the new style.

Thanks

If you find that you need to edit every paragraph (or a lot of them) to match the formatting you want, it may be more convenient to edit a built-in style or to create your own. If you right-click a style name in the Styles and Formatting task pane, you can get to a dialog to change dozens of different settings, including the Format>Font, Format>Paragraph, Format>Tab, and other settings. This may be easier than styling paragraphs manually. Or not, it really depends on your document.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hello Jscher2000, Hansv:

Jscher2000, I like your explanation, I will give it a try. Last week, you advised me about the ref fields, and they are working well. However, the table which has the data has very defined spacing information, and I was not too sure, if Paragraph Styles would pick up on it.

Hansv, you stated
    <hr>I necessary, Word will insert a blank odd page. It's just the opposite for an Odd Page section break.
    <hr>
    You lost me, from what you have stated you would have an extra page, which would be blank between the even page (2) and the odd page (3) why?

dillon

Thanks

Odd and Even page section breaks are intended for the following kind of situation: you are creating something that should lay out like a book, with odd pages on the right and even pages on the opposite side ("flip side" or "verso") of the page. You have a table of contents that runs only one page, and you want the beginning of your actual text to to appear on the next "odd" page (the right-hand side of your book), so instead of inserting two page breaks to manually create an blank page, you insert one odd page section break. When Word prints, it will print a blank page for the "missing" back side of your TOC. If your TOC gets longer and spills onto the back side of the page, you don't need to do anything: Word notices that there is no "missing" page and you don't end up with an extra blank page. Hopefully that makes some sense; it's not something one needs to do very often.

As you know, using section breaks also has the bonus feature of letting you use roman numbers for your TOC and regular arabic numbers for your main text. This is true for next page, odd, and even section breaks, not unique to odd or even ones.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Page breaks (Word XP)

Hello everyone:

Can anyone confirm the following, I have just finished a report, I have never created a document with odd, and even pages. I used the footer, to create the odd and even pages; then I used the "Insert - break", and chosed either the odd or even page break.

What is so significant about the above, as apose to the "Ctrl-Enter" method?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Also I wanted to know the following:

I have been using the "Paragraph Format" - "Spacing" before, and after tool; if I used the "Paragraph Styles" would it pick up the very defined settings from Paragraph Format?

Thanks

dillon

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hello Jscher2000:

Thank you so very much for your statment of clarification, I have a better understanding
    of section breaks.

As usual thank you for your support

dillon