2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

security /shortcuts (2000)

Hi.

I have just created a user-level security database. I have a shortcut on my machine with the following target
    "C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOffice10MSACCESS.EXE" "SatabaseMIS.MDB" /WRKGRP "SatabaseSecured.mdw"
    This works fine and prompts me for my username and password.

However the shortcut does not appear on the other user's desktops and when I try and recreate it, I get the following error.

the name "crogram filesmicrosoft officeoffice10msaccess.exe" specified in the target box is not valid. Make sure the path and filename are correct.

When I open the access database directly from the s drive I get the error message:
    You donot have the necessary permissions to use the "S:databasemis.mdb" object. Have your system administrator or the person who created this object establish the appropriate permissions for you.

thanks

Amanda

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: security /shortcuts (2000)

The path "crogram filesmicrosoft officeoffice10msaccess.exe" is the default path for Access 2002 (XP). Do your users have Access 2002 too? If they have Access 2000, the default path is "crogram filesmicrosoft officeofficemsaccess.exe". Or Office could have been installed in a non-standard location.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans,

That makes sense. As you said, some users have access 2000 and others have xp.
    I have changed the shortcut to point to "C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOfficeMSACCESS.EXE" "SatabaseMIS.MDB" /WRKGRP "SatabaseSecured.mdw", having done a search for the msaccess.exe file.
    Although this starts up access and gives the login prompt, the user names and passwords I set up don't seem to work on this machine. (Or on any other machine, except the one that I set it all up on yesterday).

Really don't know what I've done wrong.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

1. Do all users have a mapped drive S: ? If not, it might be better to use an UNC path of the form serversharefolder...

2. Do all users have full permissions (at the Windows level) in the folder Satabase? Access will not work correctly if users don't have full permissions on the folder that contains the database.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

Thanks for your help. Now all up and running smoothly.

Amanda

Super Moderator
    Thanks

One other thing you might watch for - if you have occasional workstation crashes or network problems, you may encounter what appear to be corruption problems with the shared security file (Secured.mdw) that will prevent people from logging into the database until everyone logs out and Access has a chance to clean up. If that happens, consider downloading the latest version to the user workstation as well (using the same batch file you use with the front-end) and pointing your shortcut to a location on the C: drive rather than the S: drive or a UNC. We found this necessary in databases with 40 or more users.
    Wendell

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks WendellB

I will definately bear that in mind, and might do it any way once all the user accounts are properly set up.

Amanda