3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

troublesome pst files (Outlook 2003)

I have two users with problem pst files:
    User 1 has a pst that will not open, does not show properties, will not close. We recovered the contents from a backup file and the user is happy. However, we cannot get rid of the troublesome pst. Have tried scanpst, detect and repair to no avail.
    User 2 has a pst file that will open, let him use the contents, add more to it but will not close or allow to see the advanced properties. In File/ data file management the bad pst does not show. Again scanpst and detect and repair have been unsuccesful.

I have searched through microsoft's knowledgebase and not found any help.

Does anybody have any idea what we could do?

Thank you,

itconc

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: troublesome pst files (Outlook 2003)

For User 1, does the .pst file show in the Data File Management screen? If so, you might be able to remove it there, but the other thing I have done in the past is to "give it the file it is looking for". Outlook is admittedly stupid about how it deals with "missing" .pst files; it will insist on opening them, even if they don't exist. What you can do, is copy another small .pst file, give it the name that Outlook is looking for, and put it in the folder that Outlook is looking in. Outlook should then open it, and once successfully open, you can right-click and "Close" it, which will prevent Outlook from opening it in the future. The file can then be deleted.

User 2, I am afraid I can not help with...

Eric

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Eric,
    Your suggestion about giving 'Outlook the pst it wants' has worked for me with other users. Unfortunately, not with user 1 and 2.

I will check the data file management for user 1 again and see if the pst has shown up.

Thanks,

itconc

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

From what you say<UL><LI>You have already recovered all of User1's PST contents, and presumably have been/are able to do the same for User2 (before attempting either of the next steps).<LI>Perhaps you have already tried deleting and recreating the profile. If not, maybe that can work.<LI>If you are still having trouble, try looking at the Registry Key mentioned <!post=here,82411>here<!/post>. See is deleting all the (relevant) keys (after setting a restore point) can move you further forward.[/list]HTH
    Gre