2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

False Negative in 'Search'?

I've just tried to search for the string "Conditional Format" in the Excel forum. I enclosed the phrase in quotes but left all the other options at default. Surprisingly, the search returned no hits.

I changed the search string to the single word "Conditional", (without the quotes), and received more than a page full of hits, the second of which was post# 460299, with the subject "Re: Conditional Format Sunday!(Excel 2000>)". There were other hits I would have expected to have targetted with the first search, such as #459580 "Copying Conditional Formatting (2000/SP3)", which was exactly what I was trying to research.

What gives?
    Regards,

Steve

"A good friend will help you move; a really good friend will help you move a body"

Thanks

Re: False Negative in 'Search'?

I think the problem may have been the quotes - the search was lliterally searching for those as well.

If you search for "conditional format" using the 'And' Search Option, the search should throw up any post with both words in it, including those with "format" and "formatting" etc.

If you search for "conditional format" using the 'Entire phrase' Search Option, the search appears to look for that explicit phrase - i.e. it will not find 'conditional formatting'.

Trust this clarifies things a bit!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: False Negative in 'Search'?

Duh!

Thanks very much, your clarification works a treat. Please forgive the brainfart. Too much to do, too little time, (you know how it is).
    Regards,

Steve

"A good friend will help you move; a really good friend will help you move a body"