Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Networking two PCs - printer not visible

Further to my earlier post. I've now got internet access from the 2nd of two PCs running Win XP, but cannot get the 2nd machine to see and install the printer attached to the 1st, despite running though MS's suggested procedures. The printer just not appear on the list offered by the 2nd machine. Any pointers?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Networking two PCs - printer not visible

Have you shared the printer on the machine which the printer is plugged into?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your reponse Dave. Yes I have shared the printer on the computer it is plugged into.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Check your firewall settings, the printer could be blocked.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks very much, Dave, you were dead right. I found that turning ZoneAlarm off completely on both PCs allowed me to install the server printer on the 2nd PC and print from it. However, turning ZA on again naturally blocks the printer once more. I therefore now need to assign the address of the two computers to the trusted zone of ZA. Can anyone tell me how to do this with the freebie version of ZA - there does not seem to be a setting? It is possible with the paid-for ZA Pro (Firewall/Zones). Alternatively can anyone suggest a different free firewall that is easier to configure so that a small network of this nature works.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Go to Control panel, select the network connection and then the the Support tab

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Now that you have the IP address, Open ZA. Select "Firewall" from the listing on the left side. select "Add" and from the drop down list select "IP Addesss". Enter the address and description, select OK, and then the APPLY.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks very much indeed Dave for your help. I was really being a bit thick about the procedure - I've now added the IP address to the trusted zone of ZA exactly as you suggest. However, entering AMYSCOMPUTERHP2300 (ie serverprintername) as the name of the printer to be installed on the 2nd computer still will not work for some reason (even though it did at an earlier stage).

New Lounger
    Thanks

Try browsing to the printer instead typing the name.

Also did you add the IP address of each machine in the other machine, this MUST be a 2 way street.
    I love cats, but I can not eat a whole one.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your suggestion. I added the IP address of each machine as you suggest. Immediately after this I managed to install the printer and print one page from the 2nd PC. However, after rebooting both machines, although the ZA settings were unchanged I got a message on the 2nd PC that the printer had lost its connection to the server (ie to 1st PC) (even though it would still accept print jobs perfectly normally from the server PC). It also once again proved impossible to reinstall the printer on the 2nd PC. There must therefore be something blocking it intermittently - apart from ZA, which now seems to have the correct settings. Just to make sure I also checked the printer's physical connection (cable), which seems secure.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

What printer make and model is this?
    Some of the older HP 700 series will give you a error message across the network, but would still print.

Can you post a screen shot of the error message?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by DaveA on 21-Mar-05 11:45. Added attachment)</P>Is your print sharing being turned off on reboot?

Also a dumb question, the printer and computer that it is plugged in to are turned ON?

Are you typing in the printer name or are you browsing to it when trying tomake a new connection?

On my XP systems they ALL go out and find ANY shared printer and connects to them automatically.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

My print sharing is not being turned off on reboot, if definitely remains on.
    Printer and computer to which is connected remain on.
    Usually typing in the printer name, and I know I have the correct path and name as it has already worked (however briefly) a couple of times. Have also tried browsing to the printer, the network is found, but no printer appears, and if I simply enter the printer name in the top box of the browsing dialog I just get the usual error message.
    Thanks once again for all your kind help - I'll post another message if I do eventually manage to track down the gremlin.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by DaveA on 21-Mar-05 14:26. removed white space)</P>Hello again Dave. The printer is a very recent Hewlett Packard LaserJet 2300 (about a year old). I've attached a screenshot of the error message I get when trying to print from Word on the 2nd computer (Printing.jpg) and one of the error message when trying to reinstall the printer (Installing printer.jpg)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by DaveA on 21-Mar-05 14:27. removed white space)</P>Hello again Dave. Have attached screenshot of error message when trying to print from Word on 2nd computer (printing.jpg)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast