3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Tables resizing... (WinXP/O2003)

Hi,

I'm using tables to align text, tables and charts exact across pages - this works fine.
    Currently I have a 3-column table across the page (total 170mm wide - columns: 1st 70mm, 2nd 7mm, 3rd 93mm)

Text is written in Col 3 and tables and charts are inserted in either 1 or 3.

When tables are created, they are always inserted with "automatically resize to fit contents" disabled. (.allowautofit = false) and preferred width set to exactly 170mm. (This is then nestinglevel 1)

Problem is:
    First time I paste a linked Excel table (HTML format) it comes in "as is" - which is OK. I then apply my Word table styles and make an "autofit to window".
    - links are set to "manual" in Edit - links. (nestinglevel 2)

Second time I use the doc. (eg. the day after or likewise), my numbers in Excel may have changed, so I want to update my table in Word - I press F9 with the cursor on the selected table..... and the catastrophe occurs...

Table, nestinglevel 2 is resized as an "autofit to contents"
    All Word styling is discarded and
    The master table, nesting level 1 is resized totally out of shape.

Then try to imagine that you have inserted perhaps 20 tables like this.....

Any hints on where this goes wrong or what can be done to prevent this "feature" with automatic resizing will be highly appreciated

Thx,
    Bests,
    RD

PS: Wish there were a knob on the TV to turn up the intelligence. There's a knob called "brightness," but that doesn't work

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Tables resizing... (WinXP/O2003)

...elaborating on my previous mail...

Is there any particular reason why nested tables can't be linked?

Initially when I pressed "Copy" in Excel and went to "Edit" in Word, only two paste items were available "paste" and "paste special".
    Then I selected the "paste" - result was poor, so I used "undo" - and re-entered "Edit", now 3 options were available paste as nestedtable had been added.

This kind of behaviour looks a bit buggy to me...??
    (- looks as if Selection.Information or similar has been running in the background)

I also noted, that if I pasted the table with CTRL+V (default paste method, sometimes paste, sometimes pastenested) and subsequently set the table with explicitly to the width of the column of which it is inserted into, then I can avoid the resizing that distorts the preset table widths.

But - this is so tedious.....(yawning)

Thoughts, comments or vice advise are very welcome...??
    Bests,
    RD

PS: Wish there were a knob on the TV to turn up the intelligence. There's a knob called "brightness," but that doesn't work

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm using Word 2002, not 2003.

I have no problems pasting a nested table within another table as a link (Edit | Paste Special..., Paste Link). If I do so, and select Table | Table Properties... for the linked, nested table and click Options..., the 'Automatically resize to fit contents' check box is ticked and disabled (greyed out), so I can't change this setting.

You could try recording or writing a macro that sets the width of the nested table.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Paste special... - which paste method are you using?
    - can't see nestedtable within paste special box, contrary link method is only available in paste special box....

Table settings... this is exactly my point.
    Why has this to be autofit?
    - doesn't really make sense when I can force a fixed setting upon it and the autofit distorts the table which the nested table is inserted into. (puzzled)
    Bests,
    RD

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

There is no 'as nested table' option in the Paste Special dialog, but if the insertion point is within a table cell, the Excel table will automatically be pasted as a nested table in that cell.

> Why has this to be autofit?
    You'd have to ask Microsoft.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans,

I've been trying to dig deeper in to this and the difference seems to be between my 2 office versions. One is O2000 the other O2003.

The problem occurs primarily in O2000 and I see the point you mentioned, but what puzzles me, is that sometimes when I'm in the table (and my Selection.Information(wdwithintable) has confirmed to know this with a 'true') - then still the only available paste method both in the "Edit" menu and through code is "paste".

Using this, the table lands as inserted rows above my selection point.....then and here comes the really puzzling part....

- when I do an "undo" to the "paste" and looks at the "Edit" menu again - then the "paste" is now changed to "Paste as nested table".

Looks to me as if there's some kind of a bug involved here...? (in O2000)

Then... it seems to me that MS must be aware of this because when I try it in O2003, then the same sequence is followed but Word changes its behaviour.

Menus and code are still the same.... - but just prior to inserting the actual table, Word within the cell inserts a paragraph mark above the table.
    .... and if I do an "undo" on that... removes the paragraph mark again...

Bit of an odd way to solve this problem....

Hmmm...guess there's not much to do about this odd behaviour then...? - thanks for your efforts on this.
    Bests,
    RD