Star Lounger
    Thanks

Combine text files (XP/UltraEdit)

Every day my customer has a dozen text files (*.txt) that he needs to combine into one text file. Is there a way to combine them without having to copy and paste the text out of each one? File names are variable (and unpredictable). He's using a product called UltraEdit, but I'm open to ideas. Thanks!

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Combine text files (XP/UltraEdit)

Hi Sarah,

What you're looking for is something like the Unix "cat" command, which concatenates any number of files into a single one.

I'd suggest one of two options (there are certainly many more).

First, that's a one-liner in Perl. Perl is available for free from www.activestate.com. With Perl installed, you could do this at the DOS command line:
    <pre>> perl -ne "print" file1.txt file2.txt file3.txt > bigfile.txt
    </pre>

If you're not interested in that approach, there are a few folks out there who have ported common Unix commands, like cat, to Windows. Check out: http://www.kilowattsoftware.com/PoofPage.htm. With cat installed, you could do this at the DOS command line:
    <pre>> cat file1.txt file2.txt file3.txt > bigfile.txt
    </pre>

If it were my decision, I'd create a Perl script (just a text file) named "cat.pl", consisting of the following:
    <pre>while (<>) {print};
    </pre>

And save that in C:Windows, so it's always available, right from the command line, like this:
    <pre>> cat file1.txt file2.txt file3.txt > bigfile.txt
    </pre>

In fact, I just did that, since it actually would be nice to have cat on my Windows machine.

Cheers!

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Andrew. That should work. He could probably use the VBA that comes with Office rather than installing something new, but the principle is the same.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Apparently you can also use the built-in DOS copy command:
    <pre>> copy file1.txt file2.txt bigfile.txt
    </pre>

The name of the destination file comes last. See http://www.computerhope.com/copyhlp.htm#03.

It would be fairly simple to write a VBA macro to do this using the Shell command.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

you've posted this in the Word forum I'm assuming that the end target is a Word file (albeit in text format)? In which case a wee VBA routine to create a new empty document followed by a loop to insert each of the .txt files from a chosen directory. Something along the lines of

Documents.Add
    ChDir "C:txtfiles"
    txtName = Dir("*.txt")
    While txtName <> ""
    With Selection
    .InsertFile FileName:=txtName, ConfirmConversions:=False
    .InsertParagraphAfter
    .Collapse Direction:=wdCollapseEnd
    End With
    txtName = Dir()
    Wend

At the end of this the Word doc contains the contents of the .txt files in the order that the Dir function serves them up - which raises the question of whether they need to be combined in a particular order?

If it is inconvenient to use a fixed directory name then you can always use the FileDialog object to allow navigating to a directory of choice and then selection of the .txt files to deal with - if order was a problem then presumably the dialog could be called repeatedly to choose one file at a time (slow but probably the only way to deal with unpredictable file names if there is a particular order of concatenation required)