4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Indenting & Outdenting Tasks (2003)

I'm using Project Standard and I'm finding that when I indent a task to create the project summary I have difficulty outdenting it. If it's just a level one task it will let me indent and outdent, but if it's a level 2 task and i try and indent it to a level 3 task, it doesn't let me outdent it and I can't figure out why.
    Thanks,
    Deb

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Indenting & Outdenting Tasks (2003)

To add a Project Summary task it should be done from Tools Options View. If you just put a task at the top of the list and indent everything under it you will make your WBS codes one level off. The name of the project summary task comes from Title in File Properties, otherwise it will be the file name.
    As for outdenting Project will not outdent past the leftmost border of the Task Name column. To re align the outline indent one more level down then outdent back.

Carla

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm familiar with the Project Summary task. I'm talking about just summary and sub tasks. and the problem is it doesn't let me just outdent the way it should. I've used 2000 version for years and am very fluent but haven't really worked with 03 all that much. What would stop it from outdenting like it should in 2000.
    Thanks,
    Deb

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have 2000 at work and 2003 at home. I will check when I get home using your example to see if I get the same behavior. I have noticed some "anomalies" between 2000 and 2002, 2003. Recently I was creating reports showing cost per Quarter accross consolidated projects and in 2002 Professional and 2003 Professional I could get summary task data, in 98, 2000 and 2002 Standard I could not get any data. I can't say I have noticed what your are describing, but I am interested in finding out later today and I will post back.
    Carla

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Deb,

WOW! I tried what you were describing in 2000 Project at work and it worked like you woud expect it to work, thus my original reply. I am now home and I am looking at Project 2003 Projessional and it is doing exactly what you described. Very messy and hard to change. Most of the plans I have worked with since I have started using the 2003 are mostly complete so I have not had occasion to make a new plan on the 2003 version and had not noticed the problem. I was able to through several indent and outdent actions get the end result I wanted, but it just should'nt be that hard. I have not seen this documented anywhere else so I will start to look around to see if I can find any good reason for the change. If you read or find out any additional infromation please post.

Carla

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I appreciate that. I thought it was very weird as well, if you click indent to indent it, you should just be able to outdent it to outdent it. I also noticed that in 2000 in the page setup section they had a general field of Last Printed. I was teaching class yesterday and was trying to add that to the header and I couldn't find that field in 2003. I can't imagine why they would take away the general field Last printed in a later version. Weird.
    Thanks,
    Deb

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

This sometimes is what happens in the various versions of Project. Do you have a good courseware you could recommend for teaching Project? I have looked at the Element K, Microsoft, and Thompson and my preference was the Instructor led Microsoft series. It was only produced for the 2000 version of Project to my knowledge. Microsoft frequently discontinues available version books long before businesses stop using the software.

Carla

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I used to use the element K series but i found it weak and not a very good resource for the student afterwards. I like the microsoft press step by step. it takes the user from the beginner level to advanced in one book. It's not the easiest to teach out of but it's a great reference for the student. I usually create an exercise sheet for the student to use in class that lists the tasks, resources, assignments, etc. that we will use in class.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank yu for the information. Some hands on for students would be helpful so the exercise sheet would be a great addition. I have looked at and used several courseware series for Project. I also found the Element K series for Project lacking, although the 2002 and 2003 series has some definite improvements. I found InfoSource confusing for most students and have seen no improvement over the last few versions.
    Did you know Microsoft made an Instructor led series of books based on the Step by Step series where the Step by Step book was broken down into two parts. Thi Introduction book was for a 2 day class and the Expert book was for a 1 day class. They were the same basic exercises in the general Step by Step. Beautifully printed even in color if you ordered it. I have only seen the series for 2000 Project, I don't know if they continued it into other versions.
    Carla

3 Star Lounger
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

If you are after training materials Watsonia Publishing in Australia provides good solid material. www.watsoft.com.au. The language is a little "folksy" but generally the information is correct and the exercises work as they should (not my experience with Element K).

Microsoft Step by Step isn't bad, but does tend to gloss over the idiosyncracies of the software.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Karen,

Thank you for the followup post. I am looking for a book for Advanced Project and I have not looked at this series. I had a chance to look at the outlines this week and am planning on ordering and working through the books this month. Thank you very much for an alternative to Element K and Microsoft. Folksy is fine for me as long as the information is correct and the exercises work.

Carla