Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

from access to web (sql) (XP)

I've been searching the lounge to no avail, and wonder if anyone can tell me what to search for. I'm sure this question has been asked before. My lack of knowledge on the subject is hampering my search.

I have an application in WordXP that accesses an Access database. All sits on a beige box.

Now I'd like to migrate the application so that the Word application uses a web-based database. I've been told the http nname of the database; it's akin to "http://homeeopath.homeip.net:1700".

I reason that my code should work once I have established a different database object. (I could be wrong)

my current code look like this: <pre> Dim dbs As Database
    Dim wrk As Workspace
    Set wrk = CreateWorkspace("", "admin", "")
    Set dbs = wrk.OpenDatabase(strPath & strFile)</pre>

So I think I need a substitute for, perhaps, just that last line.

Thanks

Re: from access to web (sql) (XP)

You are accessing the web-based Access database over the web instead of in RAM on the same box? That is a recipe for disaster, or at least unacceptable performance. But, if you want to try it... actually, I can't recall how you would do this with DAO. Using ADO, you can create a DSN using the Data Sources (ODBC) control panel, and then open the file that gets saved to disk and pick out the key parts of the connection string from there.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Jefferson. I've d/l a MySQL connection package and tried making contact through a general file DSN, to no avail. Then I went here and am currently trying to establish a connection directly via VBA as reported <!post=here,463152>here<!/post>

Thanks

Sorry, I've only done MS SQL Server, on an intranet, so this would be as unfamiliar a territory to me as it is to you.