Star Lounger
    Thanks

Group Policy and cached data

I am the software support person for a public library. On our computers for the public we use Deep Freeze version 5 which protects the hard drive from changes. When the computer is rebooted the hard drive is returned to its original state. We also use Windows XP on the workstations and Active Directory (Windows Server 2003). We are applying group policy to our public user logon through Active Directory. It appears that if a workstation is frozen and changes are made to group policy, that that workstation does not get the change. Are changes to systemwide group policy cached on the hard drive?

Last night I removed the user from the OU with the group policy. Then during the night the computers thawed and refroze according to our schedule. Then I put the user back in the OU, but the workstations are behaving as if they aren't.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Group Policy and cached data

Pardon my unfamiliarity with DeepFreeze. Are you saying that all workstations have logged out and logged in since you reinstated the user to the OU?
    Gre

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes they have. Now since the computers restarted the next night they did get the Group Policy change the next night so for now it is ok. I am just surprised that the group policy settings would be saved on the hard drive.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

>I am just surprised that the group policy settings would be saved on the hard drive.

It seems that DeepFreeze is adding a "fly in the ointment". From the sound of it, the machines are not really logging off overnight. Thus the full set of existing logon credentials are cached to the hard disk each night. This is the same facility that enables a network user to logon locally (temporarily) should the server suffer an outage. in other words, Windows isn't really being used "as intended".

HTH
    Gre