Star Lounger
    Thanks

Strange error message (Word 2003 - XP)

Hello,

Just recently I've been having a strange error message window pop up when I try to open a document I have chosen from a file folder...not from within Word itself. I have no dialogue windows open anywhere, in fact I have rebooted my computer, tried to open a document from a file folder and still get this message. If I click on "OK", the file does open with no further messages or problems. I've tried opening several unrelated files with the same result. Can someone help?

Thanks,

Marilyn
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Strange error message (Word 2003 - XP)

I suspect this is caused by an Add-In of some sort, try following the instructions in <!profile=Phil Rabichow>Phil Rabichow<!/profile>'s Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word.

StuartR

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for the suggestion. I did explore that site, but I don't feel comfortable making the changes it suggests. Though I have been using a computer for a long time, I started in the DOS days and never learned to use DOS. So messing with the registry and some other things puts me in panic attacks. Show me a blue DOS screen and I freeze up. I entered the computer world as DOS was going out and Windows was entering the picture (or at least you could avoid using DOS), and I chose to deal with Windows after some bad experiences with DOS. I wish I had stuck with it though, since those who know DOS seem to have a better comprehension of how all this works.

I'm involved in some complicated projects right now for a few clients as well as for myself, so don't want to upset the apple cart big time until these projects are finished. I can live with this little annoyance as long as it just pops up this window whenever I try to access a file by double clicking on it rather than open Word first. And when I open Word first, I never get this warning window. Maybe I can try the MS repair option once I have all these projects wrapped up.

Thanks for your suggetion though.

Marilyn

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Marilyn,

Your reluctance to muck around the registry is understandable. Fortunately, Microsoft finally got the hint and put together a troubleshooting template that does all the dirty work for you, even making backups of key registry entries.

Check out http://support.microsoft.com/kb/820919 for more information. Depending on your Office installation, you may already have this template on your computer, but if not, it's a snap to install.

Hope this helps.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Stuart and Andrew,

I found the answer in MS Newsgroups. I had recently upgraded Norton's Internet Security and thought I had turned off the auto protect for Office. I had not. Norton allows you to save your settings before upgrading, but that is a waste of time and never works, at least not for me. So I turned off the protection involving Office and the warning window went away.

I will remember your suggestions for other problems, however. Thank you for the time you took to answer me.

Marilyn

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Great, thanks for letting us know.

StuartR