Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Video adapter/monitor problems

OK, I've done it this time.

This morning, I bunged up our computer by trying to reinstall some software that would allow us to use our lcd monitor in either portrait or landscape mode. This is for a Samsung 910T monitor. After the install, I had to reboot at the direction of the install software. I got the "blue screen of death" as the system did a dump to disk. This repeated as it tried to boot again.

After that, I booted into safe mode and uninstalled the software I had just loaded. Upon rebooting, the mouse would not work and the resolution was very low (800x600 I think). I was unable to get the system to boot in any other condition.

I reinstalled Windows XP using the option to let Windows "attempt a repair" on the existing system. It appeared that the files were just recopied, taking the full 40 minutes to do so. After that, I was able to boot to our regular welcome screen with a working mouse, but the resolution was still low. I normally run at 1280x1024 but the system will not allow me to set that. The display properties app only sees the "default monitor" and I was unsuccessfull at getting any kind of plug and play action in terms of recognizing the monitor.

I reinstalled SP2, and got the same set of conditions. I have been at this all morning and am now quite frustrated.

The hardware setup is this:

Dell 8100 with a Radeon 7200 graphics card
    Samsung 910T monitor

In the display properties app, when I go to the settings tab and click "advanced" I am shown only the "default" display with four tabs: general, adaptor, monitor, and troubleshoot. If I select the adaptor tab, all the specifics show "unavailable" where information should be. If I select the monitor tab, I have nothing to choose from in terms of monitors.

When I insert the CD that came with the Samsung monitor and attempt to load the drivers manually, I get error messages.

Now, I am posting this and taking my son to the auto show before I put my foot through something expensive. All suggestions welcome.

Douglas

Thanks

Re: Video adapter/monitor problems

I would try downloading and installing the latest drivers from Samsung.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Leif,

I have tried that. I get the same message from Windows when I try to load the drivers pulled off of Samsung's site as when I try to load them from the Samsung CD. I believe the problem lies within Windows somewhere, but I'm not sure where.

When I go to the Systems app within the Contro Panel, select "hardware" and then "device manager, I see Radeon 7200 under "display adapters" but there is a yellow icon with an explanation point in it covering the little monitor icon in front of the words Radeon 7200. Does that mean anything?

Douglas

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

So, what would prevent the PC from recognizing the monitor? Did I damage the video card by trying to install software?

Bueller? Anyone?

Douglas, in the dark

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Try useing system restore and restore the computer to a system restore point a day older than when you installed the software that corrupted you monitor drivers.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unfortunately, there are no system restore points offered prior to the problem date. When I click on the "show previous month" button on the restore point calendar, nothing happens.

Douglas

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

The yellow icon means that the drivers for the Radeon are not installed. Have you gotten the most current ones from ATI?

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

As others have suggested, you will definetely need to realod the device drivers for your Radeon, however, if the driver is damaged oir corrupt, you might need to uninstall before you reinstall. Here's a link that I found by googling

http://www.tweakxp.com/tweak1222.aspx

Something to look into anyway.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sigh, I tried to update the drivers for my Radeon 7200, but could find nothing. Thinking that perhaps I might have damaged something on the graphics card, I went out and bought a new one - a Radeon 9200. Came home, uninstalled the old drivers, took out the card, installed the new card, installed the new drivers - and zipolla. Same result. The new adapter is recognized by Windows, but the system refuses to load the drivers. Says they may be corrupted or missing (code 39).

I then went through the elaborate procededures suggested in your link - to no avail.

I am stumped, and tired, and frustrated. I appreciate all of your help, but I am going to hang it up for today. Perhaps the PC fairies will come tonight and perform some magic. Wouldn't that be nice.

Douglas

Administrator
    Thanks

Did you download the drivers from ATI - Catalyst 5.3 drivers? Are you sure you are logged in as an administrator? Do you XP SP-2 installed?

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Joe,

The answer to all three is "yes". I have also tried to update the drivers for the Intel chipset on the mobo (850 series if the chipset identifier is to be believed). I am not sure that the update completed however.

Douglas

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Boy that really sounds as if the bad error of your monitor utility software somehow corrpted the display portion of your system. Have you tried ATI and you monitor utility tech support to see if they have a better manual uninstal method (you would be surprised how many apps have an "automatic" uninstall. a "manual" uninstall. and a "secret" uninstall that you have to get from a tech support document).

If you can't get success with one of these methods, you might have to reformat and reinstall.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Well, I spent an hour on the phone with ATI technical support this morning and after trying everything they could think of, the opinion is either something is wrong with the AGP slot/hardware, or it's in the operating system. It looks as though the next step is to reinstall XP. What a pain.

I tried to do a repair using the first repair option (can't remember the name of the process) but it asked me for a password which I don't have. So the next step is either to lay down a new copy of XP on top of the old, or to reformat the drive and put down a copy.

Douglas

Administrator
    Thanks

I believe you are referring to the 'recovery console'. Many people do not have an administrator password. Did you try just 'Enter'? If you skip that step you should be able to do a repair installation later. That may save you some headaches. But you'll have to reapply patches after the repair.

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Look on the bright side. A full reinstall usually results in a cleaner, more effiecient system. First because you don't have all the "excess" files and registry entries that tend to build up over time in a windows system, and also because when you redo it, you have to oppurtunity to reorganize things to your own lcurrent needs.

I would doubt it's the AGP card. If it is, it would be the first AGP slot failure that I've ever heard of, and certainly the only one that hasn't been directly asociated with some sort of "electrical event"

By the way, what program did you install that resulted in the problem. I've tried out PivotPro here on a couple of machines, and didn't have a problem. However, now I mostly have nVidia based cards and their drivers are built-in wth the landscape/portrait capability.

Good Luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast