New Lounger
    Thanks

Hyperlinks (Word 2000)

I made a word doc that I share with other users. This doc was designed as a webpage. I have added several template hyperlinks to the template dir. When uses click on this hyperlink, they bring up the template. Is there a way for the hyperlink open this template as a .doc as if they were working in Word and going to "new".

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Hyperlinks (Word 2000)

Clicking a hyperlink performs whatever is defined as the default action for the file type (extension) in the File Types tab of Tools | Folder Options... in Windows Explorer. If a user has set "Open" as default action for .dot files, the template will be opened, and if "New" has been set as default action, a new file based on the template will be created. In other words, you can't control what the hyperlink will do. If you always want a new file to be created, you could use a macrobutton field that calls a macro that creates the new file using Documents.Add.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

This has been asked several times in the past. My own preferred method is discussed in <post#=292438>post 292438</post#>, <post#=131318>post 131318</post#> and <post#=273088>post 273088</post#> but Jefferson Scher has approached the problem in a scripting solution which might be better for you. The posts worth reviewing are <post#=240210>post 240210</post#> and <post#=130411>post 130411</post#>.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks this is very helpful.