3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

XP connecting to Net (XP with SP 2)

I apologize if this is not the correct location because I am not sure whether this is an XP problem, a browser problem, an antivirus problem or what.

Recently I upgraded my bandwidth wih my ISP. Before I up-graded web pages would load without any problem. Once the up-grade happened pages would not load properly. Some pages would load so far and then hang. Others would show Done in the status bar, but the page was nothing but a white screen. This would happen in both Firefox and IE.

Did testing with the ISP and could ping to to sites without problems. Did tracert without problem and had very good times. Did the usual stuff like shutting off firewall (Windows XP). THe ISP could see packets coming through but they were dropped as they got to my machine.

What I did was shut down my antivirus protection (Avast Home edition 4.6.623) and then could load web pages without problem. Now each time I want to surf the net, I must shut down Avast and restart it. More of an inconvenience than a major problem.

I would like to know if there is a setting that I need to change either in XP or Avast to solve the problem.

Using Windows XP Home edition with SP2.

Again, I apologize if this is not the correct forum.

Thanks

Re: XP connecting to Net (XP with SP 2)

I don't personally use Avast, but there are many others in the Lounge who do, and I don't recall any postings about this particular program. As you certainly don't want to be without an AV program, I would recommend that you uninstall Avast, download it again, and reinstall it. Often a simple uninstall and reinstall will work wonders.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts

Re: XP connecting to Net (XP with SP 2)

I use avast at home and don't have that problem. I've seen some postings in other forums rearding the web shield in Avast. Try disabling that and see what happens.

Joe
    Joe