2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cursor missing when opening files (Word 2000 SP-3)

When opening existing files, sometimes the blinking cursor never appears. If I remember to click the mouse, it appears at the beginning of the document. If I don't remember, and try to Save As or Print (or some other functions), the screen starts flashing and I have to Ctrl-Alt-Del. The error message is "Cannot proceed because the file is waiting for a response from you" as if it were a form to fill out. I have to shut down the file and open it again.

This problem does not happen every time I open a file, but often enough to be really annoying. And it does not happen in my other word processing program, WordPerfect. Can someone tell me how to reset Word so that the cursor appears (blinking) when I open a file?

Thanks

Re: Cursor missing when opening files (Word 2000 SP-3)

Does it happen with all files, or is there some kind of common feature to the files it happens with?

Have you tried Phil Rabichow's Systematic Approach to Behavioural Problems in Word ?

Ian

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Cursor missing when opening files (Word 2000 S

This sounds oddly like an interaction with Norton's Anti-Virus. If you have Norton's loaded on this machine do a search on this forum for the fix to this problem.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia