KTYorke

Multi-document page numbering

I have multiple files for one document. Is there a way to "link" the page numbering?

For example: I have chapter 1 (pages 1-30), chapter 2 (pages 31-58) and chapter 3 (pages 59-100) as separate files. If I add 20 pages to chapter 1 is there a way I can make chapter 2 and 3 change accordingly?
    (chapter 1 pages 1-50, chapter 2 pages 51-78 and chapter 3 pages 79-120)

FYI

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Multi-document page numbering

Hi KT:
    Yes, you can. There may be more than one solution, but here's one that I came up with. I assume that in each Chapter, you've put in your footer something like page x of y, where x=page number of that document, & y = number of pages.

In each chapter, bookmark the NUMPAGE field (let's call it bk). You can bookmark each NUMPAGE field with the same bookmark, since they're in different files. Then for, say, Chapter 3, instead of {PAGE} of {NUMPAGES}, use this:

{ ={ includetext "Chapter 1.doc" bk ! } + { includetext "Chapter 2.doc" bk ! } + { page } }

This is a formula where the {INCLUDETEXT} field includes the bookmark from the previous chapters & adds them up. Since the bookmark is to the {NUMPAGES} field in each file, it equals the number of pages for each chapter. Note that you must use the ! switch to prevent these fields from "updating" in the file you've inserted them in. Otherwise, the field wouldn't represent the number of pages in the source file. Then you add the final {PAGE} field, which increments by 1 for each page in the current chapter.

Also, if for some reason you didn't want the {NUMPAGES} field to show, you could format it as hidden text (I haven't tried this, but I think it would work).

Note also: the above formula assumes that each chapter is in the same folder. Otherwise, you will have to use the full pathname & use double slashes (e.g. "C:My DocumentsFolderSubfolderChapter 1.doc").

Hope this helps.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

By the way, you can also use Office Binder, if you have it. That's probably its best feature.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Another thought (then I'm going to bed). You can simplify the above. Since you'll probably want your numpages field to include all the pages that went before, make this change. It will actually make it easier to create the first formula field also.

Instead of {the formula in my first post} of {numpages}, use
    {={INCLUDETEXT "previous chapter.doc" bk !} + {PAGE}} of
    {={INCLUDETEXT "previous chapter.doc" bk !} +{NUMPAGES}}. In this example, you bookmark {NUMBPAGES} in the first chapter. In each subsequent chapter, you bookmark the "calculated numpages field".

I hope this makes sense. It's after 1AM & I should get off the computer.

KTYorke

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by KTYorke on 01/01/03 19:51.</FONT></P>Hope you got some sleep Phil![img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Thanks for your late night suggestions and regardless of your sleep deprivation they worked!

I do have an addendum for you...I am using different first page and different odd and even pages... so the odd pages numbers are on the right and the even on the left. Normally I would just insert page number on the pages 1,2 & 3 to have the whole document numbered. Now when I insert the page number on page 2 of the second chapter it still shows as 2, not 12.

Also, what happens if say in Chapter 1, I add a page... will this now screw up the numbering? Is there a way the numbering can be updated automatically without me having to change around bookmarks?

If this isn't the case then I think it may be easier to just insert page numbers with the Start Numbering At field filled in.
    thanks for your help
    have fun
    <font color=6495ed><font face="Comic Sans MS"><font class="bigger">KT</font size=big></font face=comic></font color=6495ed>

******Edited Post*****
    Ok...I checked and never mind about the odd even page number thing...all I had to do was copy the same code over onto the other pages and updated the fields and they went in order nicely...I still want to know about adding pages though...Is there a way the bookmark is ALWAYS on the last page of a document? thanks!!
    have fun
    [img]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi KT:
    Your question:
    Also, what happens if say in Chapter 1, I add a page... will this now screw up the numbering? Is there a way the numbering can be updated automatically without me having to change around bookmarks?
    -----
    Answer:
    I haven't looked at it lately, but I thought I had experimented & it worked. You don't need to keep changing the bookmark. The {NUMPAGES} field for each Chapter should update & that should change the calculation.

My recollection of updating these fields in header/footers is:
    the {page} & {numpages} fields update automatically. You don't have to Print or Print Preview. However, an {includetext} field doesn't update immediately, as I recall.

I know that you can switch to Print Preview to update all fields (assuming you have Tools/Options/Print/Update Fields checked. You might also check the Microsoft KB article

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/ar...s/Q211/6/29.ASP

for some additional information. They also mention a macro that I suppose you could assign to a shortcut key or toolbar to update all fields. I haven't tried it yet but the commands are:

Dim aStory As Range
    Dim aField As Field
    For Each aStory In ActiveDocument.StoryRanges
    For Each aField In aStory.Fields
    aField.Update
    Next aField
    Next aStory

Hope this helps.

Edited Addendum:
    It may be that I think better late at night than in an afternoon. Be that as it may, tell me if the calculated fields are wrong after you add a pages to a chapter. If so, please let me know & I'll work on another formula or otherwise look for an answer.