Star Lounger
    Thanks

Insert Address but not using Outlook (2000)

The "Insert Address" facility in Word is useful but can it be operated with an address book other than the one built in to Outlook?

If the "Insert Address" facility Outlook specific would it be possible to write a macro that operated in much the same way but used names and addresses stored in an Excel workbook or a Word file.

Tony Beckett
    Rutland UK

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Insert Address but not using Outlook (2000)

The Insert Address option can only be used with your e-mail address book. It would be possible to write code to do something similar with an address list in Word or Excel, but it would be a lot of work - you'd have to create a userform that displays the address list and lets the user select an address, then insert it into the document. I would try mail merge instead - it can work with Word and Excel data sources. In Word 2002 and up, it is relatively easy to select a single address, I don't know how that works in Word 2000.

Thanks

Do you want to keep your regular Contacts separate from this other list? If so, one alternative is to create a separate Contacts folder in Outlook, import the Excel list, make the new folder part of the Outlook Address Book (right-click the folder name in the list, Properties, Outlook Address Book tab), and then in Word, choose the alternative address book. If you are trying to avoid Outlook completely, then obviously this doesn't help you.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks both of you for your help - I have a better idea of my options now.

Regards
    Tony