Thread: Wireless Music

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Wireless Music

CompUSA has a sale this week on the Netgear Wireless Digital Music Player. Listing at $130, it's only $50 after rebates. While I have no wireless in my network yet, I can get a Netgear 802.11g Wireless Access Point for $30 at CompUSA, too. Anyone got an opinion on whether this combo is worth $80 or not? Or a suggestion for something similar, even if a little pricier, with better performance/features? I've been using MusicMatch Jukebox Plus on my PC and am pretty happy with it, but apparently the Netgear setup would require it's own software for playlists, etc. So if someone knows a way for me to get my music wirelessly to my stereo without adding software, I'm all ears <grin>.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Wireless Music

This is kind of an interesting question. If your netgear device needs both an existing wireless network and software to play the files, what exactly does the Wireless Digital Music Player do

I'm working on a project along similar lines. I am testing a video capture card with Beyond TV and Sage TV. These both have audio file support "client" modules that will stream these files to other cleints on the network. I will be using a wired network, but I read that wireless networks are also supported. Although if I wanted to use wireless, and needed to shop for a WAP, I think I would buy one of the "Super G" models that have been designed for the streaming wireless A/V.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Wireless Music

According to the Netgear website:

"Easy-to-install software automatically finds all your music files by title, artist, album, genre or playlist on any networked PC. It then collects them into one complete database so you don't have to do the work. Sit back and put your feet up - remote control and a crystal clear, four-line display let you select music without even getting out of your chair."

I know there's other stuff out there, from Phillips, and those Roko (sp?) Soundbridge units, but they're much pricier. I'm figuring that if someday I want to "move up" to a fancier setup, there'll be someone I can pass the Netgear equipment on to. And partly my interest may be due to just being retired for two weeks: already looking for "projects" to take up my time <grin>.