Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Help! Outlook98 Attachments Crash Computer!

For various reasons, I had to move Outlook98 to a new folder and uninstall Word97 and Excel97. Outlook seems to work absolutely fine. EXCEPT, when I try to attach something to my outgoing email, the program crashes!

I can receive email with attachments and all other parts of the program work fine. Can I fix this without reinstalling Outlook? Thanks.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Help! Outlook98 Attachments Crash Computer!

How did you MOVE Outlook? It appears that when you uninstalled Word and Excel some of the files needed by Outlook were deleted.
    I would suggest that you save (backup) your PST file and unistall outlook (if you can) and then run the Office cleanr and reinstall Outlook.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the response.

I am very leery about uninstalling Outlook98 since I don't have the disk and it cannot be downloaded from MS any more. I think I saved all the set up files, but I have not really tried to use them...

My "move" was only a partial move -- and I do not fully remember if I moved Outlook or not, but for very BIZARRE reasons Gateway pre-installed my MSOfficeSBE in TWO directories (C:Program FilesMicrosoft Office and C:MSOffice). It was a duplicate installation. Everything worked surpisingly well, however, when I tried to update programs (e.g., Excel or Word Security Updates) they would get confused on what version I had. It seems that some files were SR1 and some were SR2!! So I decided to combine ALL of my Office Programs into C:Program FilesMicrosoft Office -- where they SHOULD have been all along.

I moved everything from the MSOffice directory -- compulsively I made sure that the MOST recent file was retained. Despite all of this I still could not update with the newest RTF Macro file -- it still felt I had SR1 even after I ran SR2a and SR2b!!

So I Add/Removed Word and Excel and I plan to re-install them. In the meantime, Outlook won't let me attach files... It seems strange that these should be related.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

don't uninstall - but rerun setup and see if it will reinstall on top of it's self.

you may not have all the outlook dlls registered correctly and rerunning setup to reinstall will correct it.