Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Check if .gif file is open (2000 sp3)

There are some applications that don't lock a file when they open it. Microsoft Photo Editor is one example (for all files, not just .gif), Notepad is another (for all kinds of plain text files). The user can still save the file using Save As.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Check if .gif file is open (2000 sp3)

Edited by HansV to correct link

I have VBA code that copies, opens, and deletes files in a folder. Everything is great except I wanted to make sure the user didn't have a file open before I try to delete it. I found this article MSKB 209189 and several others that show a way to do it by trying to open the file. It works great on most files but for some reason it isn't detecting that I have a .gif file open in Microsoft Photo Editor so it goes ahead and deletes the file which leaves the app open with the file open in it! I can keep working with the file but can't save it.
    Is there a work around for this? Are other file types affected?
    Any help you can give would be most appreciated. I would be lost without the great help I get from you folks, thanks!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Check if .gif file is open (2000 sp3)

Yikes. That's an interesting situation, and certainly something I'm not going to be able to do anything about!
    Thanks for helping me out, again.