Star Lounger
    Thanks

two folders won't share

Hi

I am setting up a small home network with two desktops wired and one notebook wireless through a modem/router. All are Win XP SP2. I have done all the usual stuff - all on same workgroup, networks and drives all enabled, permitted in the firewalls etc. I can share, copy files etc between all machines, see each others' directories etc.

One weird thing though - if I access the drives of "Desktop 1" from "Desktop 2" I can read the folders etc and can copy files around all over the place with two exceptions. These are C;/program files and C:/downloads where I have grabbed stuff off the internet - and now want to install it on the other machine. I have had a look at the properties for the folders concerned and can't see any reason why "access is denied". It is OK the other way round - that is copying files from these two folders from Desktop 1 to desktop 2 works fine. Also, I don't have any problems if I use Laplink to copy the files.

Probably something easy and silly but it has me beat at the moment.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Richard

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: two folders won't share

They are "SYSTEM" folders and can NOT be shared accross a network.

You need to make your own "Download" folder (I use " _Download") and then share it.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the advice. The weird thing is I can copy files from the Crogram files folder on Desktop 2 to desktop 1 but not the other way round. Should the "SYSTEM" folder rule not apply to both?

Also, the download folder is one I created myself in the root drive - not sure how this could be a system folder?

While I have your expert ear - could you clarify this for me. If I have set a drive to accept sharing, do I also have to set permissions to share for an individual folder as well?

Thanks

Super Moderator
    Thanks

If you share a drive it will include ALL folders EXCEPT for the System folders which will include "Documents and settings" except for the accounts that you have NOT made private. Also make sure that you have the settings so others can change files, otherwise you will NOT be able to copy TO the drive.
    That could be your original problem.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Dave

Thanks - I'll have a look - maybe I have set up the permissions differently on the two computers/drives. This would explain why sharing works from one to another but not back again. I'll also create a new folder and transfer a few files, then see if I can copy them over from the other computer.

I'll let you know if it works out.

Richard