4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Limit number of character in a table cell (Word 97/2000/...)

Hi,

I have real problem & can't think of a way out.

I have questionaire which is to be filled in by the users but we have to limit the size of each answer. The template is made up of a table with single column.

1. How do I limit the amount of input by the user?
    2. How do I fix the size of a cell so that when the user is on the 'last' line of the cell - he can't type beyond it? The cursor just freezes at the end of the last line in a cell. Is this possible.
    3. In your experiences, perhaps what is the best way of designing this form - i.e. use a field, a formfield, etc? I thought the easiest would be to just limit the size of the cell and thus the number of characters the user can type in it. Unfortunately, I find that WORD allows you to type in beyond the size of the table cell.

Any ideas appreciated. You guys are well appreciated and have been good to me the past.

Thanks.
    Thanks.
    Robie

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Limit number of character in a table cell (Word 97/2000/...)

Highlight a row in the table and go to Table/Properties and select the maximum or exact height of the row that you want. The reader can enter all the info he wants, but the row will not grow beyond the height that you set and the text beyond the boundry you set will not be visable.
    As to not having the ability to enter text beyond the last cell, you will have to design the table the way that you want and enter form fields using the Forms toolbar. When you are finished, protect the doc (also using the Forms toolbar) and the user can only enter data in the form fields that you set.

Fred

Fred

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Limit number of character in a table cell (Word 97/2000/...)

I have struggled with this problem myself, but didn't find a satisfying solution yet.
    FormFields allow you to set the max. length of text input alright. But because users can input hard and soft Returns, this method is no guarantee that this limited text is shown within the boundaries af a table cell. Of course it's possible to remove these Returns from the text with an ExitMacro, but that is far from ideal. You can do a lot more with a UserForm, but users - at least our users - don't like using UserForms for this purpose very much.