5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Securing run-time 2002 (2002)

Three users are apparently having run-time versions of Access 2002 installed on their machines, and they will then need to use a database stored on a shared drive. I need to set up user-names and passwords for them.
    I intend to create a folder on the shared location and copy the database to this and create a Workgroup file here as well. Will I then need to join this Workgroup from each of their three computers? How will this affect their use of other databases? Thanks, Andy.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Securing run-time 2002 (2002)

You can create a shortcut for them that opens the database with the secured workgroup information file. The target of the shortcut looks like this:

"C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOffice10MSAccess.exe" "F:AccessMyDatabase.mdb" /wrkgrp "F:AccessSecured.mdw"

with the appropriate paths and file names substituted (make sure to check where the runtime version of Access is installed; the executable is named MSAccess.exe, the same as for the full versiion)

This way, they won't join the secured workgroup, so that they can open other databases the way they are used to. It should not compromise security, for if they open the secured database directly instead of through the shortcut, they are automatically logging in as Admin, and Admin should have only minimal permissions in a secured database.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you very much. In setting up security the default Admin user needs to be assigned a password, although I believe the Security Wizard can avoid this step. Is there any risk in the default Admin user not having a password, given that all their permissions will have been removed? Andy.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

In a secured workgroup information file, the Admin user must have a password - it's what sets user-level security in motion. But there is no need to set a password on Admin in the default (unsecured) workgroup information file. When someone opens a secured database with the default .mdw, he/she can't do harm if all or most permissions have been taken away from Admin.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

By "run-time" do you mean the run-only version of Access that is shipped with the Office Developer version? If so I would expect that the application is secured, and they won't be able to run any other Access databases anyhow. If on the other hand you mean an MDE version of a database, and the users have the full version of Access 2002 installed, then the comments about security are indeed germane.
    Wendell

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry to be a bit dim, but how can I tell if it is the run-time version? If this is the case, then you say that the application is secured. It appears that staff can add and edit records freely, whereas I need to ensure that only three staff can do this. Andy.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Apparently from what you said, these users already have full versions of Access. I'd be careful about installing that new database until you've resolved exactly what it will be installing. An install of an Access database can actually have 2 parts. One is the install of the database itself. Separate from that, the install may also have (but is not required) a runtime version of Access for anyone that doesn't have a version of Access that will run the new database. What version of Access do your users have? They may not need to install the runtime.
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

They all have the runtime version of 2002. I'm using the full version to set the security.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It doesn't matter whether it is runtime or full Access if you have properly secured the database. If you remove the Admin user from the Admins group and strip the permissions from the Admin user, then the database will be secured even if they open it with full Access and using an unsecured workgroup file. Of course that is ONLY true if you have properly secured the database and changed the owner from Admin to some other user.
    Charlotte

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

So I'm now ready to secure it using the Security Wizard, but it now gives me an error message 'Object Variable or With Block Variable not set'!!! This occurs after I've selected ALL the objects to secure.
    Could this be something to do with the fact that the database is kept in Access 2000 format? I tried Compacting and Reparing and also check Tools References to ensure none were missing - and compiled it. Any ideas?? Thanks, Andy.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

No, we secure our data backend, which is also kept in 2000 format. Have you tried creating a new database using security and then importing the objects from the old one? Make sure you're logged in as a member of the admins group so you'll be the owner of all the objects you import.
    Charlotte