New Lounger
    Thanks

Win Min (XP (SP2))

I have a really annoying problem. I downloaded SP2 and installed it. Everything seemed fine, but now my computer doesn't see my printer. I tried removing/reinstalling the driver, but it doesn't work. Also, when I go to shut down my computer it can't close a program called Win Min and I have to tell the computer to end the program now. I don't know if they are related to eachother or to the SP2 install. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Win Min (XP (SP2))

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

About Win Min: you probably have one of the variants of CoolWebSearch, a nasty form of spyware. You can download a free app to remove it from your PC: Download CWShredder 2.13.

You may also want to download, install and run some of the applications mentioned in <!post=Anti Adware/;Spyware/Hijack,296439>Anti Adware/;Spyware/Hijack<!/post>

I hope someone else can help you with your printer problem.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Win Min (XP (SP2))

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

About your printer: some more information would be very helpful. Which printer (make and model)? How it is connected to your computer (parallel, USB, network)? Did you check the Internet for the latest driver?

After installing SP-2 Windows often "forgot" its network connection. Click Start | My Network Places, then "Add a network place" on the left and follow the wizard.

If your printer is installed locally, try to use "Add a printer" wizard (Start | Printers and Faxes), rather than printer software Setup program, and clicking "Have Disk" button when prompted to choose printer manufacturer and model. If you choose "Automatically detect my Plug and Play printer", do not forget to turn the printer on!

If your printer is connected through USB port, make sure your USB controller is installed properly: click Start | Run, type
    devmgmt.msc
    and hit Enter. Make sure you have no yellow "!" and red "X" signs on your devices. If so, reinstall drivers for such devices.
    Check Device Manager anyway - maybe some devices have conflict with your printer.