2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Two routers (XP Home SP2)

Hello everybody!

I want to use two different routers for two kind of tasks. One is a WLAN-router, and I want to use it to access the internet. The other one is a cable-router with an integratet print server (which I want to use). The WLAN router works fine as long as the net cable is not connected to my computer. If I connect, it is not possible to access the internet any longer. It seems that the request for the internet is now sent to the cable router, which is not connected to my modem, since I just want to use the print server functionality.
    Now my question: are there any hints out there? How do I have to configure my stuff to make it work?
    Any help will be apreciated!

Best regards, Porley

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,014 Times in 889 Posts

Re: Two routers (XP Home SP2)

Do you have conflicting IP addresses? Have you checked the configuration on both the routers?

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It is very probable that both of these devices are acting as DHCP servers, providing network information to any clients on the network. It is also quite possible that they are both using the same IP address, causing further confusion.

It should be possible to use the configuration screen on the Print Server to turn off DHCP and give it a fixed IP address that you can use. If you tell us exactly what devices you are using someone may know how to configure them.

I am going to move this post from the Windows XP forum to the Networking your Home one, as you are more likely to find help for this kind of problem over there.

StuartR

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hello StuartR!

Thanks for your assistance. It could possibly be that both routers are acting as DHCP servers (at least the WLAN router does, and when I remember correctly the other one did when I used it some time ago). They are definitely using different IP addresses. So I will try to disable DHCP on the print server and see what happens.
    I will tell you if it worked.

Thanks again.

Best regards, Porley

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I have a Wireless entry point on my wired network. When I use wireless the speed is much slower that the cat 5 connection.
    I use the wireless only when I am upstairs away from the wired network.

You might look into trying to "Bridge" the two routers. I have not done this, but have see it in the setup and on line help.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hello again.

I have tested your suggestion, and you were right. Disabling the DHCP service for the second router was the solution. Now everything runs perfect.

Thanks again, StuartR!

Best regards. Porley

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

That's good news, thanks for letting us know.

StuartR