2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Picture Manager vs Digital Image Suite 10 (Latest versions)

I have several questions about digital image editors. I am posting these questions here because I don't want a lot of sales and marketing hype and just want straight factual answers. I am not interested in high powered and high priced products of this category from Adobe. Please limit your responses to your experience or knowledge of the products mentioned below.
    1. What is the difference between Microsoft Picture Manager and Microsoft Digital Image Suite 10?
    2. I know that Picture Manager comes with Office 2003. Can I purchase it separately (I have Office 2002)?
    3. How do both of these compare with Picasa 2 from Google?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Picture Manager vs Digital Image Suite 10 (Latest versions)

1. What is the difference between Microsoft Picture Manager and Microsoft Digital Image Suite 10?
    Microsoft Digital Image Suite 10 is a full photo and image editor that competes with the likes of Adobe Elements and PaintShop Pro. I use all three and have mastered none of them.

2. I know that Picture Manager comes with Office 2003. Can I purchase it separately (I have Office 2002)?
    NO, it is part of the Office 2003 package,

3. How do both of these compare with Picasa 2 from Google?

I use Picasa 2 for a good indexing program, I have tried others and don not like them as I do Picasa.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Picture Manager vs Digital Image Suite 10 (Lat

> I don't want a lot of sales and marketing hype and just want straight factual answers.....

This is a very good point; which we do our best in the Lounge to fully respect. <!rule=18>Rule 18<!/rule> reads - in part:
    <hr>Topics Specifically Prohibited
    We do not allow... classified ads of any sort. This is an information exchange forum, not a product exchange. If you want to purchase or sell something, you should visit sites which are specifically setup for those transactions. The Lounge is meant to be a place for friendly conversation. In order to keep it that way, such messages will be deleted, as will any that contain links to such material, at the discretion of the moderators.<hr>
    The last sentence in the Rule seldom has to be enforced, but is whenever necessary. As stated, this is an information exchange forum. Tolerance is given in specific cases where people link in their signatures to free downloads that they have developed.

Hope That Helps
    Gre

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can you point me to some of these sites you mentioned that address the questions I have asked, speicifically about Digital Image editors?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Searching for:
    Microsoft Picture Manager Digital Image Suite Picasa
    in Google produces about 760 hits. A number of these appear to be reviews.

If you are open to a larger search, sites like ZDNet can be useful. Entering the following terms in Google:
    digital image edit freeware shareware
    produces about 748,000 hits.

Personally, I tend to use The Gimp (for Windows). This is a powerful open source program, which has no licence cost. You might find the interface takes some getting use to - as most of the features are accessed by right-clicking and windows do not automatically try to fill the entire screen.

HTH
    Gre

Thanks

I realize you have your mind set on these particular products, but I wonder, why? Are there particular features that are important to you that drew you to them, and, if so, can you share them so that this discussion can be more focused?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The motivations behind my original question are several. 1) I have some digital images on SharePoint and when I attempt to download them I get a message saying "This feature requires a Windows SharePoint Services-compatible control, such as Microsoft Office Picture Manager". After looking I don't have Picture Manager because it apparently comes with Office 2003 and I have Office 2002. I had never heard of it before this. 2) While doing some research about Picture Manager I stumbled across Digital Image Suite 10 and wondered if it would do all or more than Picture Manager and if it would also solve my Sharepoint Problem.
    3) I am not interested in becoming a power user in digital image editing nor do I want to spend a lot of money but just want to download from Sharepoint and maybe do some editing as need arises.
    4) My experience of posting to forums like this is that people ask a question about x and then invariably somebody reponds with "I don't know about x but I have a lot of experience with y" and then proceeds to tell me volumes about something I didn't ask for and don't want.
    So I purposely focused my question to what it is.
    I was considering posting another question specifically about my Sharepoint error message and will probably do so.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

"I have some digital images on SharePoint "

How did you up load these files to SharePoint?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I didn't upload them, someone else did. So while I don't know the method they used I suspect they simply used an upload link in sharepoint and uploaded from their client machine.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

And they were running Office 2003?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I just asked and yes, they had Office 2003 when they uploaded the images to SharePoint.

I could have them download for me of course, as you suggested. Perhaps put them on a CD. But I would like to get to them off of Sharepoint or prove conclusively that it can't be done without Picture Manager. The error message implies that Picture Manager is simply one example of the type of Sharepoint control needed.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I found a white paper on it. You can download or read on-line at Windows SharePoint

It looks like Office 2000, XP and 2003 can be used. BUT, The server MUST be set up to allow the earlier versions.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>4) My experience of posting to forums like this is that people ask a question about x and then invariably somebody reponds with "I don't know about x but I have a lot of experience with y" and then proceeds to tell me volumes about something I didn't ask for and don't want. <hr>

This is a free forum. Free as in "Free Speech" and free as in "Free Beer". Your specifications on the type of responce you expect to recieve may be apropriate for an employee under your supervision, but it seems rather much to ask over the Internet.

If'n it were me, I would just upgrade to Office 2003 and be done with it. Easy, not overly expensive, you get a host of other benefits, and you'll problaby do it sooner or later anyway.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, this is a free forum, thankfully. And that freedom works both ways. I am free to ask any question I like, within the guidelines of the forum of course. I am also free to focus my question as narrowly or broadly as I wish. Any who read it are also free to respond or not.

Lounger
    Thanks

I thought this was a forum to ask and talk about General MS Office Suite questions not to discuss Woody's bill of rights. I also learned over the years that asking politely gets much more help then a demanding letter. Can we PLEASE drop this and get back to the forum topic.
    Thank you,