Star Lounger
    Thanks

Recommendation Needed (Word XP SP 3)

I have a project I need to complete and its just not obvious to me what my best course of action is at this time and I would like to save myself from too many trials and errors. Maybe you can help...

I have 2 documents. I'll call them Spec A and Spec B. They both have the same headings (description, qualifications, abilities, etc.). What I want to do is have the ability to place the information for both specs in a table with each element side by side so I can see the comparison.

I first tried bookmarks, but it seemed I needed to have them all in the same document for this to work, but thinking maybe if I understood fields better I could do it.

Then I started thinking maybe I need to make the table a master document and the specs subdocuments. Although, I'd need to keep changing the subdocuments if I wanted to compare other specs, so I'm not sure how well this would work.

I thought I'd throw it out there to much more experienced folks than me and see what came back.

I appreciate any suggestions you may have.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Recommendation Needed (Word XP SP 3)

I may have answered my own question, but I'd be curious to see what comes back.

What I found is that I can bookmark the specs and then from the table document use Insert > File and specify which bookmark to insert. Pretty cool, but is it the best solution...?

Thanks

In part, this depends on how identical the documents are. If each had, say, 12 paragraphs (with no line breaks or tabs), then you could create a two column table with 12 rows and, with luck, just copy and paste the 12 paragraph from each document to one column of the table. The fancier the formatting, the more likely this is to break down.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can you not use the compare documents function in Word?