3 Star Lounger
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Overload and USB shutdown (winxp pro sp2)

Here at work I have a P4 2.4g machine with 512meg running xppro as a pseudo-server for our 7 machines here. In reality, it shares 1 Access db file and stores quotes etc. Basically it sits and does nothing all day. I have Nero and INCD running with a freeware backup program that zips up the working files and writes it to a CDRW disk at 7pm each night. Each morning I come in and change the CDRW and sometimes I find that the system has rebooted overnight and at other times, when I try to log in to do the CD change, I get the "this screen is in use and has been locked by user, please enter password to contine" instead of the default login screen showing me logged in. When I do log in, within about ten seconds, the usb optical mouse switches off and I have to reboot to get it on again.

Has anyone else come across this problem of the mouse switching off and is there a way to log memory usage so I can see what happens overnight and try and work out what is causing the reboot to happen?

Regards from OZ
    "Heading for the deep end"

St Louis, Missouri, USA
    Thanked 1,026 Times in 899 Posts

Re: Overload and USB shutdown (winxp pro sp2)

Examine the system event logs - Right click 'My Computer', select Manage, then click on the plus sign next to 'Event Viewer'. You can examine each log for information. How often does the re-boot occur? Do you have automatic updates enabled? Do you have any other automatic update processes scheduled? Do you have the latest drivers for the mouse?