New Lounger
    Thanks

Excel creating strange copies on save (v9.0 SP3)

1 of my users has a manufacturing planning tool, consisting of a number of linked workbooks, with macros and formulas, all kept within a particular network folder. When the user opens 1 of these workbooks, a copy of it is created in this folder, with an apparently random file name (no extension), such as "67459100" (they always end in "00". This behaviour only happens on his PC and only in this folder (I copied a simple workbook from somewhere else into this folder, opened it on his machine, made some changes and Lo! there was a copy!). Can anyone tell me what's going on and how I can stop it, please?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Excel creating strange copies on save (v9.0 SP3)

Sounds like a backup feature is active in the WBook. Choose File | Save As, and in the dialog click the Tools Button. Choose General Options, and check to see if "Create a backup copy" is activated. Deactivate this if necessary!
    Regards,
    Rudi

New Lounger
    Thanks

Rudi, thanks for this, but I checked this and the option isn't set. Something I neglected to say is that other files are being cretaed, with names such as "VB94.tmp", with content:

VERSION 1.0 CLASS
    BEGIN
    MultiUse = -1 'True
    END
    Attribute VB_Name = "Sheet4"
    Attribute VB_GlobalNameSpace = False
    Attribute VB_Creatable = False
    Attribute VB_PredeclaredId = True
    Attribute VB_Exposed = True

I checked macros and none of them have code that would produce this, as far as I could see.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Hmm... this must be a global excel option though...not a WBook macro. You mentioned that when you copied a file into the folder on the persons PC, it made a copy of your workbook too??!! Now that I think of this, it could be a property setting on the folder on the network too. (Just trying to cover all bases!!!)
    (It may be worth the while to create a new shared folder and see it files saved into that don't create copies!)
    Regards,
    Rudi

New Lounger
    Thanks

Found it Rudi. Thanks for your help. Turns out that the network share where this folder resides was physically moved from one drive to another on the server. The user's permissions for the folder were changed (not exactly sure how) so that he didn't have Modify - so he could create, but not delete/change files! He's ok now.