3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Opening without MS gimmicks (Win XP / O2003)

Hi,

Recently we upgraded to O2003.

A lot of users have since then experienced that when they just want to open a document in plain "page layout" view, they are also bombarded with changed views and markup like track changes, balloons, "final showing markup", etc. etc.

Without turning to code - is there a simple way where also these MS "features" can be turned off as default, so that the user actively has to ask for them before they are applied to docs that open.

Seems as if MS's "intellisense" (or whatever they call it) is becoming a bit to clever here.

Thanks
    Bests,
    RD

PS: Wish there were a knob on the TV to turn up the intelligence. There's a knob called "brightness," but that doesn't work

Thanks

Re: Opening without MS gimmicks (Win XP / O2003)

I consider showing markup in a document a "safety" feature, identifying potential material that could be embarrassing if the document were forwarded on. While I think Word always will show this information, you might be able to create a FileOpen or DocumentOpen procedure that sets the view after the document is displayed.

Also, of course, you can switch from the Word 2002/2003 "balloon" style markup to old fashioned inline markup using Tools>Options..., Track Changes tab.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Jefferson's right that it's a security feature, and it's turned on by default in Word 2003 (I guess a lot of folks complained about not realizing there was sensitive comments/revisions in docs they opened). One man's feature ...

Go to Tools->Options->Security and uncheck the box shown in the attached picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the tip. I tried that, and documents still open in Markup view. I don't need to see that in most documents that I open, and it messes up the printing as it prints text shaded and with comment indicators.

Thanks

Word lets you view with markup and print without markup, if you like, independently. In the print dialog, change the drop-down for "Print what" from Document with Markup to Document. From what I can tell, this is matches the text you see if you change the view on the Reviewing toolbar to Final.

(Note: the attached is a Word 2002 dialog.)
    Attached Images Attached Images