Lounger
    Thanks

Creating combo box options based on (Access 2003)

Hi,

I have a combo box (drop down list) on a form for users to select the company name that an individual works for when adding that individual's details. I would then like the user to select which office of that company the individual is based in again by picking from a combo box. How would i get this combo box to just show the office names of the company which has been selected rather than all office names (thousands!)?

Thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Creating combo box options based on (Access 2003)

See How to synchronize two combo boxes on a form in Access 2002 or in Access 2003. This MSKB article describes a method to do what you want, and also contains a link to download a (free) sample database that illustrates this method, and much more.

Lounger
    Thanks

Hi,

Have followed the instructions on the link. The code i have produced doesn't come up with any errors but when i select an item in the first combo box (CTBL business name), the second combo box ( CTBL Office Name) is just empty - not even showing all the records as when nothing is entered in the first combo.

Here is the code i'm using:
    Private Sub CTBL_Business_Name_AfterUpdate()
    Me.CTBL_Office_Name.RowSource = "SELECT [BLTBL office name] FROM" & "[CTBL_Office_Name]where [bltbl business name]" & Me.[CTBL_Business_Name]
    Me.CTBL_Office_Name = Me.CTBL_Office_Name.ItemData(0)

End Sub

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

There are some things missing, such as an =. And if CTBL_Business_Name is a text field, you need quotes around the value:

Me.CTBL_Office_Name.RowSource = "SELECT [BLTBL office name] FROM [CTBL_Office_Name] " & _
    "WHERE [bltbl business name] = " & Chr(34) & Me.[CTBL_Business_Name] & Chr(34)

Chr(34) is the double quote character ".

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

The first ampersand is not needed and you have forgoten the equal sign ath the end.
    This is in case [BLTBL office name] is a number.

Me.CTBL_Office_Name.RowSource = "SELECT [BLTBL office name] FROM [CTBL_Office_Name] where [bltbl business name] =" & Me.[CTBL_Business_Name]

If [BLTBL office name] is text then use :

Me.CTBL_Office_Name.RowSource = "SELECT [BLTBL office name] FROM [CTBL_Office_Name] where [bltbl business name] =" & Chr(34) & Me.[CTBL_Business_Name] & Chr(34)
    Francois

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks.

I have changed as suggested but it's now saying that the record source is not available. Have i put the right names in the right places? Which names of tables or fields go where i.e. SELECT ?, FROM ?, WHERE ? etc.

Sorry - copied this from the link you gave me but just guessed what went where.

Thanks again.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

SELECT Field FROM Table WHERE Field ...
    Francois