New Lounger
    Thanks

MS Office error (Office 2003)

Hi to all, my request is that everytime one of my users at work clicks on any word, excel, powerpoint or outlook file he gets an error which reads like this..."There are no Office Assistant character files present on the system. Please run Setup in maintenance mode and install at least one character".
    After he clicks "OK" the file comes up with no problem. We are using Office 2003. Can anyone help me in this. The user is the V.P. of the company and I am supposed to respond to this by tomorrow.

Thanks in advance to all for your assistance.

Tony

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: MS Office error (Office 2003)

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

According to Microsoft, this error can occur if multiple versions of Office are installed on the PC. See "There are no Office Assistant character files present on the system" error message when you start an Office 2003 program.

Lounger
    Thanks

Does anyone know of a solution to this problem? The Microsoft site doesn't appear to offer anything.

Kevin

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Have you tried re-running the install program to install all the Office Assistants? HTH
    Gre

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: no office assistant

I found some posts on another site. Seems like there are two solutions available without uninstalling/reinstalling-

1)after starting the computer up make sure an xp application opens before a 2003 application 0r
    2) turn off the office assistant in the xp application

I restarted my computer with no Office apps in the Startup folder, opened Access xp, turned off the office assistant and I haven't had the problem so far. I haven't tried the first option.

Kevin