2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Using a Microphone (XP Professional SP2)

With friends and relatives spread around the globe we decided it was time to try Skype so I went out and bought a microphone equipped headset and got ready to play.

There a two coloured receptacles on the front of my PC (Pink and Green) and the plugs on the headset had matching colours so we plugged them in and discovered that while the headphones work perfectly, the microphone appears to be dead. I went through the Windows help system but can't seem to find anything that helps. e.g., In Control Panel | Speech, I expected to see a tab headed "Speech Recognition" but only see a single Tab, "Text to Speech", When I double click on the volume icon in the system tray, and select options, I can't select the microphone. The check box is there but is inactive and the slider on the balance setting is 'greyed' out.

Am I missing something simple and obvious?

Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Using a Microphone (XP Professional SP2)

Can you check that when you double clicked the volume control and looked at Options > Properties, you selected "Recording" and not "Playback".

StuartR

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Clicked on Options|Recording. This takes me to a dialog box with three sliders for CD Player, Line In and Microphone. All three Volume sliders have green ends, the balance sliders for CD Player and Line In have green ends while the balance slider for Microphone is greyed out. I can't get any of the three check boxes to register.

The soundcard appears to be Realtek AC97

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I suspect it may be time to look for updated sound card drivers. Have you looked in device manager to see if there are any issues there?

StuartR

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Have you tried rt click on volume control icon - adjust audio properties - on the audio properties box that should open click on "voice" tab lots of things to explore there and under "voice recording" there is a "test hardware" wizard that should configure your mike.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I found there were ever many ways of "configuring" and setting the volume on the microphone, two of possible relevance in Control Panel are Sounds and Audio Devices and Speech.

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Thanks

Joe,
    Try this.
    Control Panel>Sound & Audio devices>Voice>voice recording>volume. Check settings there and continue to Advanced.
    On other controls, check mic boost or alternate mic boxes.
    You may have to experiment with those last two settings to see which is best.

Most of the newer mics must have power applied to the microphone element to have the mic part work properly. I would check to bookspecs that came with the mic ( they DID give you one? ) and if it mentions an "electret" mic element, then you must give it power through the jack to the mic.

Edited to add: there should also be a test wizard available from the voice tab. "test hardware"
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I've tried every sound related option I can find with no success. I'm beginning to suspect there might be a fault with the microphone but as it only cost me AU$8.00 and as there was no documentation, there's not a lot I can do. I think I'll wait until after Easter and call in a favour from a colleague who is a bit more computer savvy than me - not that that is saying much.