5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Problems securing database (2002)

I've created a workgroup file in the same folder as my database and joined it. I've created a new user called Administrator and assigned him to the Admins group. I've then removed the Admin user from the Admins group. However, when I now sign on as Administrator and try and use the database I get an error message to say I don't have Adminster rights!!!! Why would this be? Help, Andy.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Problems securing database (2002)

A couple of possibilities:<UL><LI>The database needs to be created using the new workgroup file in order for your Administrator user to be the owner of all the objects.<LI>Security works a bit differently in 2002 than in prior versions - you don't actually login until you open a database - you may still be going in as Admin.[/list]In addition to the information available on the Microsoft Knowledge Base, you might find our relatively brief User Security Tutorial and Jack MacDonald's User Security paper useful in getting a better understanding of how Access User Security works.
    Wendell

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you. The first option worked, by logging as Adminstrator and importing all objects, Administrator became the owner.
    My security options appear to be working okay, but another problem has arisen. When I attempt to open the database as the default Admin user, without using the secured Workgroup file (on a computer that has the Runtime version of Access 2002) an error appears saying Application Error and the application closes. Could there be a conflict between the security info and the fact that a Runtime version of Access is then used?? Andy.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, I should point out that I was able to open the database using the RunTime version of Access, but when I clicked a form button, which opens another form, the error message arose and the application closed. Thanks, Andy.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

When you're working with the runtime version of Access, any unhandled error in code will cause a crash. In this particular situation, the cause could be that the Admin user doesn't have permission to open the form.