Lounger
    Thanks

ODBC fails from Access Query (2000)

We just installed SQL last week to replace our Informix database. I used to use Excel to Get External Data and choose Access as my data source. Microsoft Query would then allow my to choose tables, queries, etc from the Access database I selected. Then it would return the data and I could use it to refresh Pivot Tables, etc.
    Now, even though I have updated my ODBC for the SQL database, and have even created a new Access database, I cannot get data from my Access query. The error message: ODBC-Connection to SQL Elite Failed. I can however, in Excel Get External Data, select the ODBC for SQL Elite and it allows me to select tables, fields etc and returns it to Excel.

I am confused as to why it worked before. And why can I get results from a query in Access, or Excel but not be able to do the same using the Access query in Excel. Our IT people have no clue why this is and have given up. I would really appreciate any assistance or thoughts. Thanks so much, Norma

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: ODBC fails from Access Query (2000)

Yes, I can do that, but I find it easier to create my joins and filter by criteria in Access. Also if I need to sum or have custom fields it will already be there for me to select. But if I have to now use only the MS Query I guess I will do so. I'm just confused as to why it worked before and not now. Thank you though!

Norma

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: ODBC fails from Access Query (2000)

Do you really need to connect to SQL Server from Excel via Access? If you connect directly to SQLServer from Excel, you can still create queries in MS Query.