Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can't save report (XP/sr2)

I am using a database with Access security. I belong to the "developers" group which has design and modify privileges for Reports. When I try to create a report using the Wizard I get this message:

"You do not have exclusive access to the database at this time. If you proceed to make changes, you may not be able to save them later"

but after answering "OK" I am allowed to proceed. Access accepts the object name I give it and gives me Preview. All appears well. If I close it, the object does not show in the database window. If I make any changes to an existing Report and save it, I get this message:

"You do not have exclusive access to the database. Your design changes cannot be saved at this time. Do you want to close without saving your changes?"

and changes are not saved.

Typically, I get the "exclusive use" message only when other users are in the database. The server administrator has confirmed that there are no other users on. Also, another "developer" (also the database adminstrator) does not experience this problem. Any clues?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Can't save report (XP/sr2)

See if you can open the database with exclusive access:
    - Start Access (don't open the database from Explorer)
    - Select File | Open...
    - Locate the database.
    - Don't click on Open, but on the dropdown arrow next to it.
    - Select Open exclusively.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I can't get into database at all with that method. I normally use this shortcut:

"C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOffice10MSACCESS.EXE" "orgrootsharedThingsThings.mdb" /wrkgrp "orgrootsharedThingstSharedWorkgroup.mdw"

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Try joining the secured workgroup temporarily. Join the original one again when you're done.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I had this problem on one of the databases I work with and how I solved it is when I looked at User and Group Permissions for the Database object I did not have Open Exclusive permissions. I have administrator permisions so I gave myself Open Exclusive permissions for the Database object, problem solved.

Carla

Star Lounger
    Thanks

That worked! Love it when it's simple.