Lounger
    Thanks

Start Screen Saver

Hello!! Could someone tell me if there is a way to start a screen saver without having to wait for the time set in the Display Properties dialog box on the Screen Saver tab? One of the users here wants to be able to just click an icon to start the screen saver, which has a password, when she leaves her office. Thanks for any help you can give.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Start Screen Saver

Find an appropriate .scr file in the windows folder & drag a shortcut to the desktop, or wherever you prefer, maybe quicklaunch, and that's it. Just needs a double click to activate.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

There are a number of different ways to accomplish what your user is looking for. One is to place a shortcut on the desktop to the screen saver of choice. (find the .scr file in the windows directory and drag it to the desktop)

Another is to choose a screen saver which allows you to configure a cursor position which will turn it on whenever the cursor is placed in that position (usually the corners of the screen so that if you move your cursor into the chosen corner the screen saver will be activated).

Hope this helps

New Lounger
    Thanks

You can also utilize the Shortcut bar in MS Office. There's already a button there that looks like a window shade being pulled down. Click on that button and, like magic, your screensaver starts. I think (and I could be wrong) this particular functionality isn't part of the default settings in the shortcut bar. To activate it all you need to do is right-click on the shortcut bar itself, scroll to customize, and it's pretty easy to find it from there.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your response, as well as the other couple of people who responded. It's nice having so many options. However, when I double-click on the .scr file that I put on the desktop as a shortcut, Notepad opens with a bunch of globby-gluk code. What did I do wrong?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Your default click event is set to "EDIT" instead of "OPEN". Look at the folder settings and you can change it.

Lounger
    Thanks

I don't mean to be a pain, but tell me how you change the default click event from Edit to Open. When I right-click on the shortcut and click open I get code. When I double-click it, I get code.

I also opened My Computer-->View-->Options-->File Types. Found AutoCAD Script in the list which looks like the icon that I put on the desktop; clicked Edit and checked to see what the actions were and it says "open".

Should I be looking someplace else?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Go into EXPLORER; VIEW; FOLDER OPTIONS; FILE TYPES; look for Shortcut into a document and edit it so the default is set to (bold face)OPEN.