Star Lounger
    Thanks

Problem with cond. formatting (2002: 10.2614.2625)

I have a project in which cells are conditionally formatted to show an orange pattern if other cells have a particular value. I wanted to add a second condition, to show a red pattern if other values occur, and that worked fine.

However, when I saved the workbook and re-opened it, the second condition had vanished. I tried it with a different file (one I created from scratch) and the problem did not recur.

Any ideas?

And one other thing: is there any way to tell Excel, once and for all, that I want the formula bar to be visible when I open up so that I don

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Problem with cond. formatting (2002: 10.2614.2625)

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

Neither of the problems you describe is normal behaviour - conditional formatting should be saved with the workbook, and if you tick the "Formula Bar" check box in the View tab of Tools | Options..., the setting should stick. Take a look at Jan Karel Pieterse's <!post=Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in XL,290455>Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in XL<!/post> to see if that helps solving the problems.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Problem with cond. formatting (2002: 10.2614.2625)

Problem solved. The project includes a back-up macro which provides a method of going back to an earlier point, and the closing routine calls that macro. Unfortunately the cells on another sheet to which the data was backed up did not have the same conditional formatting . . . and the rest follows.

Obvious, of course, after the event!