Lounger
    Thanks

Slow boot - two event errors (WinXp SP2)

WinXP SP2, Pentium4 2.5Ghz, 512 RAM, Laptop with 2 partitions:
    C is set as a mirror recovery drive (as was delivered) - 2Gb with 1 Gb unused
    D is the working drive with all progammes - 40Gb with 20 Gb unused

Event log shows following 2 issues that each take a long time to resolve on startup (about 1.5 mins each)
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    1 ftdisk error
    "Configuring the Page file for crash dump failed.
    Make sure there is a page file on the boot partition and that is large enough to contain all physical memory"

I have tried everything I can find on forums:
    Set debugging info to "none" or small 64k
    Tried different settings for the page file from 0, to allowing windows to manage, to setting fixed sizes varying from 800Mb to 2Gb
    I've tried this in different combinations on each drive
    I had Adaptec CD burner but have uninstalled it
    The PC is clean of all spyware etc
    It's been defragged with the page files removed
    - still issue remains
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    2 Service control manager error
    "The USB-USB Network Bridge service failed to start due to the following error:
    The system cannot find the file specified"

I had a USB network installed but removed it months ago using "remove software"
    The file it looks for is USB2000 in sys32/drivers

I've tried
    reinstalling then uninstalling the network drivers
    copying the file USB2000 into the divers folder after uninstalling - but it simply changes the error message to:
    "The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it"

Searched registry for any entries for "USB-USB" and found some but chickened out of deleting them!
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMControlSet001EnumRootLEGAC Y_PCLINKBRIDGE0000 > DeviceDesc > USB-USB Network Bridge

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMControlSet001ServicesNIC20 00 > DisplayName > USB-USB Network Bridge Adapter
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMControlSet001ServicesNIC20 00 > ImagePath > System32DRIVERSNIC2000.sys

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMControlSet001ServicesUSB20 00 > DisplayName > USB-USB Network Bridge Driver
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMControlSet001ServicesUSB20 00 > ImagePath > System32DRIVERSUSB2000.sys

(There are also other keys like enum, security, etc under these roots)

Is this where the PC is getting its loading instruction from and if so is it safe to delete?
    (I've tried various registry cleaners but none have proposed any of these for removal)

Thanks for any help on either issue
    Mike

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Slow boot - two event errors (WinXp SP2)

Which drive has the functional OS on it?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Lounger
    Thanks

D Drive has everything
    C is purely a recue drive set up by manufacturer - with dire warnings not to mess with it!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

The "recure drives" are normally a hidden partition and the system is installed on the C drive.

Who is the OEM of this setup?

I think that the use of this method MAY be to cause of your problems.

Lounger
    Thanks

The Laptop was bought in april 2003 from a UK company called Multivision who produced PC's and Laptops that regularily won "best buy" from a number of different PC magazines.
    (The company has since gone bust - maybe their buys were too much the "best"!)

C Drive has a programme called "MVMirror" and another called "Ghost"
    It has a dual boot offering at startup - either WinXP (default) or Mirror - running the latter is said to reset the laptop to its original basic state and configuration( WinXP S1) although I've never tested that!

The slow boot seems to have "crept in" - it never was all that fast but seemed to be getting worse and worse recently.
    I only recently discovered the event manager a couple of weeks ago when I started trying to find out what was going on

FYI the only other "operating" programmes I run are GoBack 3.1, Avast (free one), Zone Alarm Pro and Counterspy (trial) - none show any errors and the only other thing I found was that GoBack prevents hibernation - which I'm happy to live with for GoBack's other benefits. Main application is OFF2003 - both that and WinXP are up to date with all updates.

I've considered reformatting to get rid of the "Mirror" partition but since I've no idea if I've got all the drivers I might need for a re-installation, and this is my only PC, I've chickened out of that!

I'd guess that your questions are directed towards the pagefile issue
    Any idea on the USB-USB issue, even if I get rid of that it would be an improvement!
    Mike

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I am not into editing the registry, so hopefully some one who is will jump in.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Try right clicking 'My Computer'. Then select 'Manage'. Then click on the + (plus sign) next to 'Services and Applications'. Then click on services. Locate the USB network bridge service'. Double click it and change the startup type to 'DISABLED'. Then OK your way out. That should prevent XP from even trying to start the service.

For the pagefile - disable the pagefile by right clicking 'My Computer and selecting Properties. Click on the 'Advanced' tab and then press the 'Settings' button in the Performance area. Click on the 'Advanced' tab again. Then press the 'Change' button in the Virtual Memory area. Select the 'No paging file' radio button and press 'Set'. Ok your way out. Then re-boot the system (into safe mode would be best). You should be able to delete pagefile.sys if it still exists. Then configure the page file to what ever size and placement you wish. Re-boot and it should be OK.

Joe
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Joe, I'll try both these when I get back
    Re the pagefile - can you confirm that there should only be one - and that (in my configuration) it should be on the D Drive?....does it matter?
    Mike

Administrator
    Thanks

If you let Windows control the pagefile you will only have one and it will be on the drive where Windows is installed. For more information read this aricle by the late Alex Nichol (a well known and respected MS-MVP): Virtual Memory in Windows XP.

Joe
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Joe - I removed the file as you suggested - it worked and ftdisk error was gone
    Windows then showed offering for me to allow it to manage the file on either drive
    I tried all sorts of combinations (file on C / on D / on both etc)
    The only time it didn't show the error was when there was no file on either drive
    In sheer frustration I gave up, backed up my data and re-installed XP from scratch using the "mirror" ghost utility - it worked fine and reset laptop to the original settings
    As an extra precaution, before doing that I took the advice on other forums and backed up the drive using "Acronis True Image" which was exellent and very easy to use (I'm buying it!)
    That's completely got rid of BOTH errors and I'm now carefully re-installing my applications and watching for the ftdisk error to re-appear.
    Go-Back will let me revert if I do find an offending one and I'll post it here
    Thanks for advice
    Mike

Administrator
    Thanks

Glad you got it worked. Seems like you are taking the most sensible approach. Best of luck.

Joe
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks

Gotcha!
    To save anyone else from the same exasperating experience....
    GoBack Deluxe is causing the error!
    Enabled, the error appears, disabled and it disapears
    There are no posts anywhere (that I can find) refering to this, nor is their website of any help
    So just make the decision to either live with the error and the extra 30 seconds in now takes to boot up, in return for the GoBack benefits - or dump GoBack
    Me? - I'll live with it
    Mike

Administrator
    Thanks

Have you checked to make sure that GoBack is up-to-date?

Joe
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks

Yup - very latest version Joe
    No worries, since I re-installed XP it's booting fast enough to live with
    - amazing what a good cleanout will do!!
    Mike