Lounger
    Thanks

VBA to copy attachment (Oulook 2003 / 2000)

I use outlook 2003 on my laptop
    Others in my new office are using Outlook 2000 and operate its basic email synchronising of appointments between PC's on the simple network
    There's no exchange server and the company won't consider having "bespoke software" installed just to suit me
    (Understandable I suppose but I'd like to keep my 2003!)

I can easily email my appointments as attachments to people but it would mean they would have to see the email and save the appointment attachment into the appropriate calendar folder in their outlook ("too much trouble....")

Does anyone know of a vba script that will create a rule in Outlook 2000 so that when an email is received (from me) with a keyword (eg appointment) in the subject line, the appointment attachment is moved / copied from the email into the correct appointment folder (mine) on their PC?

I'm ok with vba in Excel and Word but Outlook beats me

Any advice appreciated
    Mike

Thanks

Re: VBA to copy attachment (Oulook 2003 / 2000)

Before Outlook 2002, it was not possible for a rule to run a VBA procedure. Instead, they could run a "Custom Action," which always was described as a program written in C/C++. However, it is possible to write an event procedure that will fire up when the recipient has new mail. That could involve a LOT of debugging to resolve errors inevitable in the accessing of everything that shows up in the Inbox.

A number of companies offer Outlook add-ins for various purposes. If you can scrounge up the budget for that, perhaps you'll find a quick solution there?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Mike, a further comment on JScher2000's explanation. If the vba code was written to do what you want, you'd have to install it on Outlook on all target user machines, which is a bit of an undertaking. Would that be permitted in a company that "won't consider having 'bespoke software' installed just to suit me"? (Not trying to make you eat your words, just explaining more about the problem.)

If it's a small company, perhaps you could talk them into at least looking at Microsoft Small Business Server, which includes Exchange, and putting together a Return On Investment calculation for its purchase.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Lounger
    Thanks

JScher2000
    Based on what you say I'll quietly drop that idea....at least I've learned something!

John
    Interestingly, using VBA code and modules isn't perceived as bespoke software, just a utility that comes in Office Apps.
    There would have only been 2 PC's I would have had to insert the bva modules / create toolbar button for, so it looked like a "nice and easy" route.
    But given JScher2000's information, the idea's doomed for the rubbish bin anyway

Large company / small local office - looks like I'll just have to put up with the "antique" Outlook2K
    But many thanks to both for the responses
    Mike