Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Archiving Solution

I have a steadily growing amount of material (now >100Gb) that I am having to archive. Originally, I used Sony 1.1 DVD-RW (4.7Gb each) with Nero 5.5.10. In addition to using Nero's post-burn verfification, I also burnt md5 files as an additional precaution. After a few problem-free batches, the disks gradually seemed to have problems burning more than ~3.5Gb. Burns of ~4.2Gb would have verification errors on a few items - all in the same folder. The final batch that I bought was so consistently problematic that I had a confrontation with the store - who insisted that I had damaged the DVD-RWs.

Since then, I have splurged on a massive extra hard drive.

The DVDs have remained at room temperature. I now have had part of one (of the most recent) go "belly up". All the md5s in one folder fail verification, although about 3/4 of the files seem rescuable. All other md5s report ok, and working backwards through the rest of the archive (~70Gb) has yet to uncover further problems.

While I still have masses of space on the extra hard drive, my instinct is to go back to archiving on a fixed storage medium. The DVDs have the advantage of being directly accessible, but I have no idea whether I am dealing with just a "bad batch" from Sony or simply pursuing an inappropriate strategy.

Comments? Suggestions?
    Gre

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: Archiving Solution

Here's an interesting article on media Wired News: Blank Discs Not Created Equal. Right now it seems as though optical media is not as realiable as touted. I'm trying to convince my management to go for multiple external HDDs.

Joe
    Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Archiving Solution

I agree with Joe - external HDs are becoming more popular. You can buy a USB (and/or firewire) shell and slap in a hard drive and be good to go. I am currently looking at external network drives for the SOHO. It is about the same size as USB drives but has an internal Ethernet adapter - plug it into your network anywhere, assign it an IP, run a little application on each machine, and presto, and the drive appears under My Computer - and everyone on your home network can see it - they are still a little pricey but they are coming down. Some allow you to plug USB drives into them for another drive.

I like the idea because I can run a cat-5 to a secluded part of my basement that has a good chance of surviving a house fire and have my data backed up. Using a drice in close proximity to your PC does not off much in the way of off-site storage (neither in the basement - but better than nothing).

I also use RAID1 (Mirror) on my main system. I have 3 identical drives. Every few months, I pull one of the drives out the RAID array, and slap in the third. The new one syncs up and I am good to go. Third goes to the safe deposit box at the bank. Having a good case with slide out drive bays makes it very easy.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────