New Lounger
    Thanks

Can't install/uninstall Office (Office 2003)

Every time I bring up any of the Office applications, I get the following error: "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable". It lists the directory as "I:Program FilesOfficeUpdate11Cabs511735". The application does run when I select 'Cancel' to locating the files.

I installed Office 2003 from CD and updated to the latest patches from the online MS Office Update (well before this started occurring). When I try to Repair/Reinstall/Uninstall I get the same error. I've attached a screen print with the message.

Anyone have any idea what I can do? Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Can't install/uninstall Office (Office 2003)

This does seem strange. Does your set-up include an "I" drive at all?
    Gre

New Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, the 'I' drive is valid. For whatever reason, that is the boot partition. The system was returned to the manufacturer to correct a hardware problem and this is how it was returned. I did a complete re-install following that, including Office. It only began giving the error message recently. It worked fine for more than 3 months.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

A workaround could be to build the named folder on the I drive and then copy over whatever the contents of that folder are from wherever your Program Files folder actually is. Or have you already tried that - or do you not have such a folder under "Program Files"?

Office has its own method of recording where install and patching took place which is not "open to persuasion" when some of the related information (such as the effect of your Return To Manufacturer) changes.

HTH
    Gre

New Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, the folder was there, just no files. I tried to find the file, but it does not exist on the system. Tried deleting the folder -- no luck.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

The only further thing I can suggest is re-visiting the Office Update site - on the off-chance that that may change something. There doesn't seem to be anything on the Microsoft site for this particular update causing problems.
    Gre

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Your Office 2003 SP-1 Client Update (Office2003SP1-kb842532-client-enu-exe) wasn't installed properly or was damaged during download. Download it from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&displaylang=en (the link is at the end of the page) and install once again.

If it will not work, download the full version of the patch (Office2003SP1-kb842532-fullfile-enu-exe) from the same page - it is 73 MB download against 17 MB of client update - and install it on your computer.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the information - but it didn't work. I get an error that says the update cannot be applied (both downloads). No reason given, just that one sentence.

Any way to manually (or otherwise) uninstall Office?

Thanks again.