New Lounger
    Thanks

merging info (2000)

I have a master excel file with approximately 300 names in column A and associated data in the next 5 columns. Each month I get another file with names and data in several columns. My problem is that I can not cut and paste the new file into the old one as the names change, some are added and some are deleted each month, as well as the order of the names changes. Is there an easier way to merge the new data into the monthy file than copying and pasting for each row of the still present 300 row items? Any suggestions to make this a less tedious copy/paste time buster? Hope you understand what I'm asking, &[img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks

Re: merging info (2000)

Not sure I understand. COuld you elaborate

You have a list of names in your master file.

If the new file is a replacement list (it has the aditions and has the old names deleted), you can just delete the eixisting list and then paste the new list.

If the file contains only new names, just paste this list to the bottom.

If the file contains names to delete, you could use a match function to find the items in the new list that match, mark them for deletion and then delete them.

If you need more details, you will have to elaborate on what you have and what you need a solution to do...

Steve

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: merging info (2000)

If I understand what you want, it is probably going to take a macro. In order to help with a macro, it would help a great deal to have some data to test the macro on. Could you zip a copy of the master file and the update file and attach them to a copy of this message. You can change the names and any sensitive data.

We will also need to know the following:

1- Does the data in the update file replace the data in the five colunms after the name or is it appended to a new five columns (if it replaces the data in the five columns, why not just replace the old file with the new file).

2- If the data replaces the data that is in the master file, what happens to the data for the people who are not included in the update file.

3- What happens to the people in the master file that are not in the update file. Are they deleted?

4- Does the master file need to be sorted after it is updated? If so, in what order of what column?
    Legare Coleman