Star Lounger
    Thanks

Music cannot play! (PP2003)

I have been converting CD tracks for my students to use in PP and they will not play inside PP2003. We are on a network running Windows XP Pro S2. They will play outside PP as a file. I amseeking any information concerning what type of WAV files the new 2003 PP application will play or not. I have been reducing the file size using Windows Recording application. We think that the converting format may not be recognized inside PP, so no music plays, even when inserted and tweaked properly. It is driving us nuts because the kids can't play music with their PP shows. Any suggestions?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Music cannot play! (PP2003)

We will need more info on what software application you are using to reduce the file size - is it a commercial product designed for that purpose, or are you using the Windows Media Player that is available with various versions of Microsoft Windows. We also will need to know the file extension that is being used, i.e. .wav, .mp3, .wma, etc.
    Wendell

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I am using the Windows Sound Recorder located in the "entertainment" menu. Load the file, increase the sound by 25%, Properties, select type of WAV file (I have tried most of them- MPLayer3, WinMediaV1, WinMediaV2), and select convert. Save the file using a different name to a specified location. Copy the file to the same location as the PP file. We have tried inserting a sound file through slide transitions; inserting music file through Insert file option and then animate it for all slides.
    Hope this helps us to get the answer!
    Thanks for the help!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I must confess that I've never used that application, as I use a more sophisticated recorder that comes with my music software. In any event, you should be able to take a .WAV file and insert it into a slide and have it play when you display the slide (or if you so choose, when you click on it). Try that with a .WAV file that you haven't attempted to modify - if it works, the the issue is with the Windows Sound Recorder. One note I did find is that .WMA files do not play in PowerPoint, at least with the basic installation. According to the help file, you should be able to use the Windows Media Player to play such files, but I wasn't able to make it work with just a simple test. Hope this helps. You might also want to take a look at <post#=390558>post 390558</post#> by <!profile=Echo Swinford>Echo Swinford<!/profile> for some added information on using sound files in PowerPoint.
    Wendell