2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Access equivalent toGetOpenFileName? (2000/sp3)

I have been using Excel vba lately, and have a command button that drives code utilizing GetOpenFileName() allowing the user to choose an external file to perform some manipulation against...

I am now working on an Access project, and need to allow the user to choose an external database to link tables to. The database I'm working on will take in values from the external database to generate new output data. The only catch is that there are dozens of external databases, and the external databases have constantly changing information (but are all the same format), so I must allow the user to choose the one to link to at that time...

In the short term, I have simply included the reference to the "Microsoft Excel 9 Object Library" which allows me to use this function. Is this bad design practice, or bloating my database if I use this reference for just this one function? (whether left as .mdb or compiled to distributable application)

thanks,
    ..dane

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access equivalent toGetOpenFileName? (2000/sp3)

Starting Excel causes considerable overhead. You can use the module and class module from the database attached to <post#=271686>post 271686</post#>. They will work without having to set any reference. The form in the database demonstrates its use. Copy the module and class module into your own database to use them.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access equivalent toGetOpenFileName? (2000/sp3)

AWESOME!

Thanks. that is so much nicer an approach.

..dane