Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cell linked to Access table (2000)

I want to link a cell in an Excel spreadsheet to a simple (ID, Company name) Access table, so when I enter the ID in Excel, the company name appears. How do I do that?
    Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Cell linked to Access table (2000)

You can pull the Access table into Excel using Data | Get External Data | New Database Query..., then use a VLOOKUP formula to retrieve the company name associated with an ID.
    You can specify when the data in Excel will be refreshed - only manually, or every n minutes and/or when the workbook is opened.
    You can hide the worksheet with the data table if you like.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans
    Thanks for the prompt reply. Please excuse my ignorance, but what are the actual steps for using VLOOKUP? When I skip that step, I get the whole Access table inserted into an Excel cell. What I want to do is type "3" (the Access key) into the cell and get "Publisher H" (from the Access table).
    Thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I hope you don't really mean that the entire Access table is dumped into a single cell.
    The first step (Data | Get External Data | New Database Query...) should result in having a copy of the Access table in a worksheet in Excel, say in Sheet2!A1:B100 (just for illustration purposes).
    On another worksheet, A2 is the cell in which you enter a key number such as 3.
    In B2 (the cell next to it), you have this formula:

=VLOOKUP(A2, Sheet2!$A$1:$B$100, 2, FALSE)

This will display the value from the second column in the linked table corresponding to the key in A2. If you want to suppress the #N/A you get if there is no match, use

IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(A2, Sheet2!$A$1:$B$100, 2, FALSE)), "", VLOOKUP(A2, Sheet2!$A$1:$B$100, 2, FALSE))

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Excellent! Many thanks. Works like a dream.