3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sorting data when there is hidden rows (2000)

Is is possible to sort data when there are hidden rows? I have about 50 rows of data with about a third of the rows hidden throughout. I want to be able to sort the visible rows. When I try and do that it only sorts the first consecutive numbers and stops sorting if a row is "hidden". By example rows 1 -12 are sorted but 14 - 50 are not because 13 is hidden. Thanks for any help!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Sorting data when there is hidden rows (2000)

I'm using Excel 2002. If I select either the entire range to be sorted, or a single cell within that range, only the visible rows are sorted; the hidden rows are left alone, exactly as you want. I don't have older versions of Excel to test on, but from the newsgroups I get the impression they behaved that way too. How are you trying to sort the visible rows?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I use Excel 2000. If I hide rows and/or columns, all the rows/columns still sort just fine, before, after and within the hidden rows and columns.

If there is a blank row or column, Excel only sorts up to the blank, and doesn't sort beyond the blank row/column. Is there data in your hidden rows?

- Brett

Thanks

I don't think the issue ob blank rows is true (at least it is not true in XL97. In XL97 you can sort a blank hidden row and it will be ignored just like the other rows.

Having a blank row will affect how excel chooses the range to sort, but if a blank row is within the range selected to sort, it sorts "normally" before and after the blanks, ignoring hidden blanks or placing visible blanks at the end...

Steve

Thanks

It is the same in XL97. Visible rows are sorted. Hidden rows stay where they are.

Steve

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

sorry, that's what I meant...if no range is manually selected, Excel will automatically choose a range up to the blank row/column, but not beyond. If you select a range yourself that includes a blank row in the middle, it gets sorted right along with the rest of the data.

- Brett