2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Front Page 2002 (XP)

Is this the place to post a request for feedback on FP2002? I'm interested in upgrading, but would like to hear others experience with it before I make the move. Anyone used it yet?

Thanks

Re: Front Page 2002 (XP)

This will be the place - I too am interested in comments.
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

tdspringer

I just ordered it so I will let you know.

teri

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I couldn't wait so I ordered it from Amazon (after checking prices per Woody's newsletter) and so far it's pretty cool. A little nicer interface and some nifty features that I'm slowly checking out. Already got a problem though. I've got a pretty picture intensive site so the Photo Gallery feature is of particular interest. Once I got the hang of it, I think it will be pretty handy. However...when I create a photo gallery by inserting the appropriate component and then copied it to my website the following appears where the gallery ought to be [../photogallery/photo29705/real_p.htm]

Do sense that my server has to have FP2002 extensions installed for this feature to work? Has anyone got any ideas?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

While trying to research this problem at Microsoft support, I've discovered that if I want to get any help from them, it's going to cost me $35 a pop. I don't recal this "level" of support before. They only offer free support if your problem is with the install. Anything else requires a $35 payment EVEN FOR SUBMITTING AN EMAIL QUESTION!! I've checked the KB and can't find anything that remotely addresses this question. Geez, I can't believe it...no actually I can... you buy a brand new product which comes with a small 80 page book that is "Adapted from Microsoft FrontPage Version 2002" and that does not have the answer to a fairly straight forward question and you've got to turn around and pay them again!!!!!

Thanks

<P ID="del"><FONT SIZE=-1>Post deleted by WebGenii</FONT>
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Just installed FrontPage 2002, simultaneously deleting FrontPage 2k (what the heck

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

On the activation, i don't have a copy of frontpage standalone to check the eula, but the version in office is allowed on a desktop and laptop.

Rabbitdad

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Rabbitdad on 14-Jun-01 07:19.</FONT></P>(This post was edited and re-posted under the Title: FrontPage Frustrations.)

I bought FrontPage 2002, but I have yet to open the box. I'm waiting to see how things look with the product, since I have never been really happy with FP 98. Things don't look too good so far. Glitches and less support than ever before!

Does anybody know a web-creation product - better than FrontPage - that will take over a Front-Page-created site without messing up the existing page? I am so sick of Micro$oft's arrogance and mediocre performance! This proposed alternative product would accept my PixelMill-created FrontPage theme without altering anything. I only want to update my site; not re-create it.

Ihad an earlier question, I'll ask, because Microsoft didn't answer it. It's cut-and-pasted here:
    I have FrontPage 98 and I have created a large web page using this software, with a FrontPage 98 compatible Theme distributed by Pixel Mill. I do not want to compromise the present web page when I go to update it, and I have hesitated to update to a later version of FrontPage because I have never really been happy with FP 98.

The problem is, my personal web server in FP 98 seems to "self-delete" for anomalous reasons - usually as I attempt to fix complications that come up with my ISP connection. I have required a number of tech support calls involving this problem and, presently, my personal web server is gone again. I dread attempting to set this up again and I deeply resent Microsoft for creating this "bug" in FrontPage. (I always feel that Microsoft develops buggy software to force us to pay more money by upgrading.)

I would like to know if Front Page 2002 would automatically fix this problem for good and if it would allow me to keep my present FP98-created web page intact, WITH ITS PRESENT PIXEL MILL THEME, such that I can update it without problems using FP 2002. Also, I do NOT want to be forced to upgrade to any other software if I get FP 2002. I use Windows 98, second edition and Office 2000. Should I stay with my present FrontPage or upgrade? (Please advise me based upon my needs, not Microsoft's desire for profit . . . Sorry to be so blunt, but I've learned the hard way . . .)

Rabbitdad

Thank You. I am using the FrontPage Personal Web Server.
    By the way, if I install FP 2002XP (is XP shorthand for exasperation?) don't I get away from using the personal web server?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

yes the eula says that, and i am trying to install to my laptop even as i write this. The installer is having trouble finding the data for the office install...

i can see another problem when i replace my desktop machine, which i hope to do in a couple of months. I suppose i will have to deactivate (is that even possible?) the desktop copy, install FP2k on the new machine, and then upgrade again.

What a pain.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

More problems ... the installer cant find data1.msi on my MSO 2k premium CD.

To overcome this, i opened the MSO 2k CD in windows explorer, found data1.msi, and copied it to the 'desktop'. When the installer (for the 3rd time) said it could not find data1.msi, i browsed to my desktop and showed the installer where it was.

This install did not go as smoothly as the first, but it seems to be working.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I'm very interested in hearing about the product also. I'm especially interested in the shopping cart feature that is supposed to be available. Has anyone looked at it yet?