Lounger
    Thanks

Mail Merge to Table (Word 2002)

We use Word 2000 (on desktop PCs) but on some laptops we use Word 2002. Using Word mail merge, we merge Excel data to a Word table. Everything works fine using Word 2000. When we use (a copy) of the same files on Word 2002, some data is cut off in the Word table after the merge. Are there new table cell limits in Word 2002? The Excel cells could contain 300+ characters and it looks like the first 250 or so come over to Word 2002. All 300+ characters appear when using Word 2000. The only thing I can narrow it down to is a mail merge limit from an Excel cell to a Word table cell. The Excel file looks the same on both Excel 2000 and Excel 2002 (all data is there). Is anyone aware of this limitation?

Joanne

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Mail Merge to Table (Word 2002)

I have just tested (Word 2002 SP-3), and cannot reproduce your problem. Excel cells with over 1,300 characters are merged completely into table cells in Word. Could you attach (a stripped down copy of) a problem workbook, and perhaps a merge document? Remove or replace sensitive data.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the quick reply...you have reassured me that this will not be an issue when/if we do upgrade to another version of Word. At first the problem seemed to be in cells that contained the greater than/equal to symbols (>=) or less than/equal to (<=). I have seen Word try to do math in mail merges before. We tried replacing those in the Excel file with the actual words but those cells were still cut off at about the 240 -249 level after the merge. I will ask the gentleman with the laptop if he would like to proceed further or just use the desktop (2000) PC when he knows he has long cells. I didn't really have a good look at the Excel file but I will post it if we still can't solve. Thanks again. I always get great answers from this board.

Joanne

Thanks

In the old days, when I worked more with MS Access, manipulating certain kinds of fields in a query would cut them off at 255 characters. If they were retrieved individually, there was no problem, but if you embedded them in a function, the rest of the characters were lost. I don't know if Word is accessing Excel using the same type of driver that I was using to access the MS Access database, but it's possible. One workaround for "new Excel merge problems" in later versions of Office is to expressly instruct Word to use DDE to access the worksheet rather than ODBC. I forget the details, but there are posts here on how to specify that.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Hi Joanne,

This may be an issue with the display & printer setup rather than actually being a case of data not being merged.

Word formats its output according to the setup of the display and printer being used. This issue affects all documents, not just mailmerges, and is the source of many "Why does my pagination change on a different PC" problems. In the case of a table, this might mean that the text contained in a cell with a predefined height just won't fit anymore and so isn't displayed. Adjusting the row height and/or column width usually fixes the problem.

So, check with your user whether this is the issue.

Cheers
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]